Oct 29, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
When the NHL tabled its 50-50 proposal two weeks ago, it was hoping the players would negotiate off the structure of that offer.
Instead, the NHLPA responded with three proposals of its own creation that the league promptly rejected.
At the time, commissioner Gary Bettman said it was “clear that we’re not speaking the same language.”
Monday, deputy commissioner Bill Daly expressed frustration with the way things have played out while providing little clue as to how negotiations might move forward.
“No new news,” Daly told ESPN.com. “We withdrew our most recent proposal on Friday, and now we are spending time thinking about our next proposal and how best to get closer to a resolution. We hope the union is doing the same thing. Given the fact that the union refused even to discuss our last proposal, it would appear that we still have a large gulf to bridge.”
The fact the two sides haven’t even agreed on the structure of the next CBA doesn’t bode well as it’s yet another roadblock to the end of the work stoppage.
On Friday, the NHL canceled all games through November.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)