Oct 29, 2012, 12:11 PM EDT
When the NHL tabled its 50-50 proposal two weeks ago, it was hoping the players would negotiate off the structure of that offer.
Instead, the NHLPA responded with three proposals of its own creation that the league promptly rejected.
At the time, commissioner Gary Bettman said it was “clear that we’re not speaking the same language.”
Monday, deputy commissioner Bill Daly expressed frustration with the way things have played out while providing little clue as to how negotiations might move forward.
“No new news,” Daly told ESPN.com. “We withdrew our most recent proposal on Friday, and now we are spending time thinking about our next proposal and how best to get closer to a resolution. We hope the union is doing the same thing. Given the fact that the union refused even to discuss our last proposal, it would appear that we still have a large gulf to bridge.”
The fact the two sides haven’t even agreed on the structure of the next CBA doesn’t bode well as it’s yet another roadblock to the end of the work stoppage.
On Friday, the NHL canceled all games through November.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)