Oct 28, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
While the NHL and the players’ union continue to be at odds with how talks have gone, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio posed a good question: Did the owners underestimate Donald Fehr?
Panaccio asked the NHLPA Executive Director himself that question.
“I don’t know, I certainly hope not,” Fehr said.
When it comes to the owners’ lockout strategy, Fehr said they’re following in the footsteps of the NFL and NBA, but when it comes to what the owners are trying to do, Fehr isn’t a mind reader.
“So when they said they were going to lock out and made hints about it months ago, everybody believed them, and the fact that the players believed them and are still unwilling to accept what’s on the table – the massive reductions the owners want – suggests to me, that the answer to the question as to the player’s resolve should be self-evident. But I don’t know what they believe. I have no idea.”
Fehr says he hopes the owners didn’t think the players would cave in by now, especially after what went down in 2004-05. The only thing all this talk does is make fans think they’ll be in for a hockey-free winter.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)