Oct 28, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
While the NHL and the players’ union continue to be at odds with how talks have gone, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio posed a good question: Did the owners underestimate Donald Fehr?
Panaccio asked the NHLPA Executive Director himself that question.
“I don’t know, I certainly hope not,” Fehr said.
When it comes to the owners’ lockout strategy, Fehr said they’re following in the footsteps of the NFL and NBA, but when it comes to what the owners are trying to do, Fehr isn’t a mind reader.
“So when they said they were going to lock out and made hints about it months ago, everybody believed them, and the fact that the players believed them and are still unwilling to accept what’s on the table – the massive reductions the owners want – suggests to me, that the answer to the question as to the player’s resolve should be self-evident. But I don’t know what they believe. I have no idea.”
Fehr says he hopes the owners didn’t think the players would cave in by now, especially after what went down in 2004-05. The only thing all this talk does is make fans think they’ll be in for a hockey-free winter.
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 11
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 30
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Malkin named NHL’s first star for second straight week 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Red Wings challenge division-leading Bruins (32)