Oct 28, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
While the NHL and the players’ union continue to be at odds with how talks have gone, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio posed a good question: Did the owners underestimate Donald Fehr?
Panaccio asked the NHLPA Executive Director himself that question.
“I don’t know, I certainly hope not,” Fehr said.
When it comes to the owners’ lockout strategy, Fehr said they’re following in the footsteps of the NFL and NBA, but when it comes to what the owners are trying to do, Fehr isn’t a mind reader.
“So when they said they were going to lock out and made hints about it months ago, everybody believed them, and the fact that the players believed them and are still unwilling to accept what’s on the table – the massive reductions the owners want – suggests to me, that the answer to the question as to the player’s resolve should be self-evident. But I don’t know what they believe. I have no idea.”
Fehr says he hopes the owners didn’t think the players would cave in by now, especially after what went down in 2004-05. The only thing all this talk does is make fans think they’ll be in for a hockey-free winter.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54