Oct 27, 2012, 9:28 PM EDT
If his impressive KHL start is any indication, Nail Yakupov is a quick study when it comes to finding the net.
His two-goal performance in Neftekhimik’s 6-5 win against Atlant gives him eight tallies in the still-young KHL season.
One might charge the 2012 draft’s top choice with being a little one-dimensional early on – he only has two assists – but that seems like nitpicking at this point. He’s already fired 43 shots on goal, indicating that his knack for finding the net is probably no accident.
Edmonton Oilers fans can be excused for daydreaming of the 1-2 punch that could one day result from Yakupov finishing off Ryan Nugent-Hopkins deft passes.
Regardless, it seems like the young Russian forward is off to a promising start.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32