Oct 27, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
We’ve heard plenty of talk from the players and the owners about the lockout, but the one thing we’ve been lacking is a real good conspiracy theory. Lucky for us, Patrick Marleau came up with a good one.
Marleau, via text, told Josh Rimer of NextSportsStar.com that the owners had a plan to eliminate games well ahead of the lockout.
“The league had these games canceled already in the summer. They are just releasing that info now,” Marleau said.
Well that’s news to everyone and just adds more nasty rhetoric to the ongoing war of words between the two sides. Fact is, Marleau’s been a staunch critic of the owners from the outset and has been at least trying to keep an open mind about things as they go along.
With things taking a turn for the worse in the past couple days, however, being optimistic is a lot more difficult to do.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 33
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)