Oct 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
While many players are using the downtime of the lockout to further rehabilitate injuries, Andy Sutton is wondering if he’s already played his final NHL game.
Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal hears from the Oilers’ defenseman about how he injured his knee this summer and will have his 12th career surgery done to fix it. Sutton’s prospects for the future aren’t too bright.
“I had trained so hard and was in such good shape,” said Sutton. “But this is another thing I have to deal with. I may have played my last game last year and not even known it.”
He’ll get the operation done within the next month and then spend six weeks rehabbing the knee. Without knowing when or if the lockout will be done in time to start the season, Sutton isn’t sure if he’ll get to play again.
Sutton admitted he was set to retire last season but enjoyed his time in Edmonton so much he wanted to go for another year. Now he’s stuck with a bum knee. Too bad he’s not an expert at labor negotiations to help guarantee he’ll get to finish his career the way he wants to.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 2
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 7
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 33
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)