Oct 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
While many players are using the downtime of the lockout to further rehabilitate injuries, Andy Sutton is wondering if he’s already played his final NHL game.
Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal hears from the Oilers’ defenseman about how he injured his knee this summer and will have his 12th career surgery done to fix it. Sutton’s prospects for the future aren’t too bright.
“I had trained so hard and was in such good shape,” said Sutton. “But this is another thing I have to deal with. I may have played my last game last year and not even known it.”
He’ll get the operation done within the next month and then spend six weeks rehabbing the knee. Without knowing when or if the lockout will be done in time to start the season, Sutton isn’t sure if he’ll get to play again.
Sutton admitted he was set to retire last season but enjoyed his time in Edmonton so much he wanted to go for another year. Now he’s stuck with a bum knee. Too bad he’s not an expert at labor negotiations to help guarantee he’ll get to finish his career the way he wants to.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)