Oct 27, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
While many players are using the downtime of the lockout to further rehabilitate injuries, Andy Sutton is wondering if he’s already played his final NHL game.
Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal hears from the Oilers’ defenseman about how he injured his knee this summer and will have his 12th career surgery done to fix it. Sutton’s prospects for the future aren’t too bright.
“I had trained so hard and was in such good shape,” said Sutton. “But this is another thing I have to deal with. I may have played my last game last year and not even known it.”
He’ll get the operation done within the next month and then spend six weeks rehabbing the knee. Without knowing when or if the lockout will be done in time to start the season, Sutton isn’t sure if he’ll get to play again.
Sutton admitted he was set to retire last season but enjoyed his time in Edmonton so much he wanted to go for another year. Now he’s stuck with a bum knee. Too bad he’s not an expert at labor negotiations to help guarantee he’ll get to finish his career the way he wants to.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)