Oct 26, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
When people float conspiracy theories that owners signed big free agent deals this summer supposedly knowing they’d get some of that cash back, Ryan Suter‘s name inevitably comes up.
If his interview with ESPN’s Craig Custance is any indication, Suter wouldn’t call those theories crazy.
“It’s disappointing. If you can’t afford to (sign contracts) then you shouldn’t do it,” Suter said. “(Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold) signed us to contracts. At the time he said everything was fine. Yeah, it’s disappointing. A couple months before, everything is fine, and now they want to take money out of our contracts that we already signed.”
” … Now, they’re trying to go back on their word. It’s frustrating, disappointing. It doesn’t seem like that’s the way you operate a relationship or business.”
Well, those comments might make things a little awkward the next time Suter meets up with the guy who signs his heaping (and largely lockout-protected) checks.
To some this is just another example of the mounting rhetoric on both sides, yet it’s surprising to hear such bold comments from a guy who’s still getting paid pretty handsomely even with the NHL being out of action.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)