Oct 26, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
When people float conspiracy theories that owners signed big free agent deals this summer supposedly knowing they’d get some of that cash back, Ryan Suter‘s name inevitably comes up.
If his interview with ESPN’s Craig Custance is any indication, Suter wouldn’t call those theories crazy.
“It’s disappointing. If you can’t afford to (sign contracts) then you shouldn’t do it,” Suter said. “(Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold) signed us to contracts. At the time he said everything was fine. Yeah, it’s disappointing. A couple months before, everything is fine, and now they want to take money out of our contracts that we already signed.”
” … Now, they’re trying to go back on their word. It’s frustrating, disappointing. It doesn’t seem like that’s the way you operate a relationship or business.”
Well, those comments might make things a little awkward the next time Suter meets up with the guy who signs his heaping (and largely lockout-protected) checks.
To some this is just another example of the mounting rhetoric on both sides, yet it’s surprising to hear such bold comments from a guy who’s still getting paid pretty handsomely even with the NHL being out of action.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)