Oct 26, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
If we’re still to assume a week of training camp is required before the regular season (what’s left of it) can start, the new deadline for a CBA to be reached becomes Nov. 23, or around there.
That’s less than a month away, which common sense suggests should create some urgency. But if the NHL and NHLPA weren’t meeting in the days leading up to the last deadline (Oct. 25), will they be rushing to talk now?
Instead, expect to hear a fresh batch of rhetoric from each side as more players sign in Europe and the Winter Classic/All-Star Game cancelation watch intensifies.
Last year’s NBA’s lockout resulted in a shortened 66-game season that started on Christmas Day – worth mentioning as NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr believes the NHL is following the NBA’s negotiating playbook.
Unfortunately, a 66-game season now appears to be a best-case scenario for hockey fans.
Ridiculous, but reality.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)