So…what now?

Oct 26, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Vancouver Canucks - Game Seven Getty Images

That’s the question after the NHL withdrew its most recent offer to the players and canceled all games through November.

If we’re still to assume a week of training camp is required before the regular season (what’s left of it) can start, the new deadline for a CBA to be reached becomes Nov. 23, or around there.

That’s less than a month away, which common sense suggests should create some urgency. But if the NHL and NHLPA weren’t meeting in the days leading up to the last deadline (Oct. 25), will they be rushing to talk now?

Instead, expect to hear a fresh batch of rhetoric from each side as more players sign in Europe and the Winter Classic/All-Star Game cancelation watch intensifies.

Last year’s NBA’s lockout resulted in a shortened 66-game season that started on Christmas Day – worth mentioning as NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr believes the NHL is following the NBA’s negotiating playbook.

Unfortunately, a 66-game season now appears to be a best-case scenario for hockey fans.

Ridiculous, but reality.

1. paledevil - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So be it to the death……. Lets see who can loose more to prove a point … Takes heart to do that …

2. ballistictrajectory - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Disband the league. Let the players find out what they’re really worth looking for work like the rest of the population. This would also let the owners know just how much of the revenue pie is contingent on their owning a team.

Screw them all.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Ehhh unfortunately 2/3rds of the league doesn’t care about how long the lockout goes or even if somehow the NHL folded because they’re saving money by not playing.

• woodstakes - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

LoL ballistictrajectory you act like the players would have to enter the ‘normal joe’ workforce. THEY do have an option… its Europe and KHL. The NHL are idiots looking at the short term rather than the long term. Players have short windows to make they’re money, the owners have a LIFETIME! Get a deal that pays the players what they are owed in the existing contracts.. get to 50/50 which is what you want and BOOM we’ve got hockey. ITs really that simple. The owners seem to think if they put a bunch of AHL/ECHL and Major Juniors in “Their” sweaters that people will flock to watch and NBC will keep the TV deal… THEY ARE STONED!! IF they did that all the ‘ELITES’ in the league would go overseas and play in the KHL and the KHL would OPEN THE FLOODGATES to them knowing they would have them because the NHL let them all go, ESPN would sign up a HUGE KHL TV contract and bye bye NHL. WHY are the owners so concerned about the next 2-3 years??? Gimme a break!

• jackdaniels1 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Yeah sure, everyone is going to tune in for games at 4am, or better yet let’s watch on tape delay or get the game from some crappy Internet russian website

3. bcsteele - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Due to the overwhelming response I’m gonna post it one last time (cause I know how multiple times gets annoying) because of the support shown for it and I thank you for it:

Want to share a brief story with everyone on PHT. Instead of just bashing and ranting, I’ll just give a specific example of how awesome BOTH sides should feel right now.

I’m a Blues fan and probably attend (or try) about ten games a year. I live an hour and half from the team and work for a local dealership where I’m blessed to make a little more than a traditional middle class income. I own over ten jerseys, pay for an extended cable package ONLY to get the NHL game channels, and I’ve bought EVERY single copy of EA NHL for video games systems since they’ve been out. I consider myself an avid Blues fan, but bigger than that I’m a fan of the game and will watch the playoffs (as I’ve down up until last year for awhile) whether my team is in or not.

But all that aside, let me tell you about someone else. Often times when I go to these games I meet my family that is part of the St. Louis area. A few years ago, my dad told me that my youngest brother (we’re fairly far apart in years) plays hockey with a child who’s dad is a regular factory worker and can’t afford to support his son’s sport (everyone who’s played knows what this can cost) on just his salary alone. He is one of the vendors at the games when he’s not working his regular job to pick up the extra leg. This allows him to support his son’s opportunity to play the sport we all love. Whenever I go to a game, all my drinks or otherwise have been bought from him and I tip VERY WELL…knowing where that money is going.

So while the billionaires and millionaires continue to argue over millions of the pie…keep in mind that someone who can barely PAY TO PLAY HOCKEY…may be struggling because you guys are being absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry this was long…but this is where my biggest frustrations stem…thanks for reading.

• imleftcoast - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The story is a great reminder. If kids aren’t playing the game, the fans aren’t going to be there in 10 years. The owners and players are supposed to be stewards of the game. By not negotiating in good faith, both sides are demonstrating an utter lack of respect for the fans and the game.

I negotiate as a profession. What’s going on here is what killed the US auto industry in the 80′s. This is how you kill an industry. Pretending you don’t care soon becomes no one cares. The managers and unions didn’t care about the product in the 70′s. They were busy fighting about working conditions, shortening shifts. The quality of the cars went down, and soon the customers were gone.

Bettman has destroyed the trust, but these two sides are going to have to get serious next week. If they have to cancel the Jan. 1 game, they might as well cancel the season. Again, the owners are not saving money when the games are cancelled.

• id4joey - Oct 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

imleftcoast, Why not say what’s going on here is the same as what went on in the NBA last year? Whatever it was didn’t kill the game.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Who the hell would thumb down that?

• bcsteele - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

A few probably did because I’ve literally posted it two times ahead of that one…but it got so many likes I figured I’d keep it going with some of the newer topics that buried it. Oh well, this was the last re post. I’m sorry but I truly do feel it is a good example of the true tragedy of this situation.

• steeeve718 - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

People who don’t like seeing the same lame comment posted 5 times in a day.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

It also has nothing to do with the players. They aren’t responsible for everyone else’s problems. Yea, life’s difficult for a lot of people.

4. jimw81 - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM

contraction officially comes into play.

• cweez2 - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

nope. Both sides would benefit from expansion. League gets beaucoup expansion fees and players have more opportunities to play.

• spiciercheez - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Haha good joke, made me smile.

5. chrisvegas - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

The owners won’t even meet with the players unless they get everything they want like spoiled little brats. The players are willing to meet at any time to discuss solutions. The players are willing to meet in the middle and get a deal done; the owners are so arrogant that they won’t even talk to the players unless they give them EXACTLY what they want. The problem here is the owners and we the fans need to send them a strong message that we will hold them accountable for the 3rd lockout in 20 years. The owners think the fans are morons who will continue to buy their product even after they have proven over and over again that they don’t care about the fans. Wake up people. Let’s send them a strong message and start boycotting their advertisers and stop buying their products. There is plenty of money they are making and they can come to a better financial agreement then last lockout right now with the players, that being with new huge tv contracts. This is PURE greed people!!!!!

6. blomfeld - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

WHAT NOW ? …

Well, the same as what we’ve been doing for the past 15 days since the season was scheduled to have started … we “stand by”. Now while it is feasible that things could start moving as early as next week, I still believe that it’ll be the week following (Nov 5 – 10) when the big break through is announced. Anyway, if you guys need to get anything from the concession stand then you should probably do that now, as the final dramatic scene is going to be starting here pretty soon ! :)

7. braddavery - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I’ll tell you what now. This greedy league will not receive a PENNY from me for many years. I will watch games on TV (if they somehow start a season this season and in the future), but that will be the extent of my involvement with the NHL until they change their nasty habit of cancelling games/seasons. I will not be going to ANY games (I normally make a few per-season), no EA NHL PS3 games (which I normally get every season), no jerseys, no decals, no new packs of hockey cards (I’ll still buy old hockey cards of NHL greats from times past) and nothing NHL related where they will make a cent off of me. DONE. I hope many others will do this too, as this league doesn’t deserve our hard earned time and money.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I never believe it when I read comments like this.

• bhawksrule - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Yup it’s so getting so lame. If you are done with it, why are you coming to PHT every day looking for updates?

If you’re done with NHL, bye. See ya. Plenty of other loyal fans.

• dreadpiratesteve - Oct 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Because you still are a fan of the GAME, despite how the owners and players act? A true fan will continue to love and follow the game he is a fan of, NO MATTER WHAT. But that does not mean you have to support a LEAGUE and its PLAYERS who obviously do not give 2 sh!ts about us. I, like many other fans I have spoken to, will not give the NHL a dime for the foreseeable future if/when hockey returns. It doesn’t affect my love of the game in any way. HOCKEY is the game. The NHL is just a league that plays it. The NHL is not greater than the game, despite its misguided belief to the contrary.

• braddavery - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Exactly. This is what makes these decisions to cancel games and seasons easier because they know idiots like these will come back and spill their money back into their pockets regardless of their actions. As you said, it’s about the GAME with me. The NHL can go to hell. P.S. I couldn’t care less if someone “doesn’t believe me”. It doesn’t change ANYTHING.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

It changes because once the higher level of hockey is back and the 100 or so NHL players in the AHL are gone, there will be one elite league again.

• braddavery - Oct 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

You not believing me about not giving the NHL any more of my money doesn’t change the fact that they won’t be getting any more of my money, is what I meant. You don’t have to believe me. It won’t change anything.

8. rpiotr01 - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

What now? Everyone continues to move on with his or her life and just forget about hockey. There’s the world series, football, christmas/ holidays, football playoffs. Maybe I’ll start to really miss it in early 2013.

9. proudliberal85392 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I’m losing faith and patience, blomfeld. Help me stay upbeat, buddy!

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

another fake username, great.

• blomfeld - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Hang in there friend … the truth of the matter is that were an agreement to be announced tomorrow, then we’d probably have our season underway in less than 10 days … anyway, I am sincere in my belief that we’re going to hear about an agreement shortly, most likely the week after next … we’ll see eh ?

ps: I have to admit that in a way I actually do miss our old friend ! :)

• blomfeld - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Hockeyflow33 – let me tell you friend that in fact it runs much deeper than that … I’ll have you know that I’m actually posting here under at least “50″ different handles ! … yes siree ! … in fact I may even be a couple of the writers too ? :)

ps: and you have the nerve to call me a conspiracy nut ? … LOL !!! … the question should be who “you” really are ? … Miss Teen South Carolina or something ?

• id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

damn I crack myself up. I’m so hilarious… hahahahaha!

Host: blogger number #1, what is your real name?

blogger #1: My name is blomfeld

Host: blogger number #2, what is your real name?

blogger #2: My name is blomfeld

Host: blogger number #3, what is your real name?

blogger #3: My name is blomfeld

Bud Collyer, where are you?

10. cweez2 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Hey, as long as they put ‘Thank you fans’ on the ice, I’ll be satisfied.

/sarcasm

11. id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Every is so irrational here. Mind blowing. Relax! It’s only October! What are you getting so antsy about? We should do something else with our time. I don’t know, read a book, workout, go to bars, movies, anything that will relax you until either the season starts or gets cancelled. You can rant, curse, name call all you want when we know the season is cancelled. Right now let the business men solve their problems. Hey. Read a book about labor negotiations. That would help you fall a sleep or educate you on the process.
    Negotiating a Labor Contract: A Management Handbook (Hardcover)
    Charles S. Loughran

12. bennywuh - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Ice Girls…

13. savior72 - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

The WNHL maybe?

• bhawksrule - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Bikini league hockey!

14. joewilliesshnoz - Oct 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Like Yul Brynner once said, as it is written,so it shall be done !

15. thebadguyswon - Oct 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM

And yet you saps will still buy tickets when the league comes back. No other sport has as many work stoppages and still…. the fans come back. The league and players don’t give a damn about you, clearly.

16. id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM

thebadguyswon, the NFL and NBA has been there before and both are doing just fine. The gov’t has lied to us and screwed us over more than once but we still pay our taxes. There are chances at one point or another we had a wife/husband or whatever yell at us and called us names yet we still speak to them.

• blomfeld - Oct 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Id4joey – the irony with our friend’s assertion is that I wish I was you ! … man do you ever sound in here with intelligence and reason … and you always do it with unwavering class …

anyway, I know that you’re not a conspiracy believer like me … but I’ll tell you, right now I feel better about the season shortly than ever ! … I swear to God, you just watch what transpires now over the coming days !

best regards … Blomfeld, Dadoun, Proudliberal85392, Id4joey, Ducksk, Chrisvegas, Jimw81, WoFat, Sharksfan66, Ahmadinejad, Halford, Tmoore4075, Capesouth, Elvispocomo, Elvispresley, Elviscostello, Hsnepts, Highlander, Barroomhero, Manchestermiracle, Namriverrats, Socal, Stakex, Hockeyflow33, Brough, Kitshky, etc … :)

• id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Thank me, me. LOL

17. larrybiv - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I’m actually dying here w/o my hockey. Saving some cash in not having to pay for directv pricing. Well worth it living here in Florida, while HAVING to watch my favorite lifelong team the NYR. With that said…..maybe they won’t run out of gas come the semi- finals. Hank will be well rested, Gabby and Nash will be healthy…..this is the NHL ‘s master plan for the Rangers to win this year’s short season 2013 Stanley Cup. Sounds about right. Right?

• id4joey - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If there is one thing we can fault torts for is pushing his team very hard from day 1, which explains why they ran out of gaz. I think he has to take his foot off the pedal a little to prime the team for the playoffs. a shortened season may very well give them an edge if he continues to put the pedal to the floor.

• blomfeld - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Larrybiv – Not a bad theory friend, except for one small problem which you seem to have overlooked ? … the LOS ANGELES KINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Yes siree, the reigning Stanley Cup Champions and absolute “best” hockey team in the world today ! Surely you’ve heard of us eh ? We’re those guys who don’t just beat teams in the playoffs … we “butcher” them ! Doan, Parise, Kovalchuk, Brodeur, the Sisters, Burrows, etc ? … we couldn’t care less one way or the other ! … for when the chips are on the table, we Kings will “destroy” absolutely everything in our path !

ps: I know friend that the Rangers mean well and all, but you should seriously think about signing on with us LA Kings this year … think about it eh ? :)

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches