Ryan Miller says missing a season would be “a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans”

Oct 26, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT

Ryan Miller AP

Ryan Miller still thinks there’s a deal to be made between the NHL and NHLPA, but he’s growing increasingly incensed that one hasn’t been made yet.

“The two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades — just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side,” the Sabres’ goalie wrote in email to ESPN.com.

Miller also believes NHL revenues will continue to rise (he pointed towards the Isles’ move to Brooklyn, the upcoming Canadian TV rights bid, and relocation/expansion) and, given that, the “least [the owners] could do is honor our contracts and find a way to start the hockey season.”

Related: Miller believes two sides “are closer to making a deal than they were before”

1. tmoore4075 - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

OMG common sense!!

2. bcsteele - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Want to share a brief story with everyone on PHT. Instead of just bashing and ranting, I’ll just give a specific example of how awesome BOTH sides should feel right now.

I’m a Blues fan and probably attend (or try) about ten games a year. I live an hour and half from the team and work for a local dealership where I’m blessed to make a little more than a traditional middle class income. I own over ten jerseys, pay for an extended cable package ONLY to get the NHL game channels, and I’ve bought EVERY single copy of EA NHL for video games systems since they’ve been out. I consider myself an avid Blues fan, but bigger than that I’m a fan of the game and will watch the playoffs (as I’ve down up until last year for awhile) whether my team is in or not.

But all that aside, let me tell you about someone else. Often times when I go to these games I meet my family that is part of the St. Louis area. A few years ago, my dad told me that my youngest brother (we’re fairly far apart in years) plays hockey with a child who’s dad is a regular factory worker and can’t afford to support his son’s sport (everyone who’s played knows what this can cost) on just his salary alone. He is one of the vendors at the games when he’s not working his regular job to pick up the extra leg. This allows him to support his son’s opportunity to play the sport we all love. Whenever I go to a game, all my drinks or otherwise have been bought from him and I tip VERY WELL…knowing where that money is going.

So while the billionaires and millionaires continue to argue over millions of the pie…keep in mind that someone who can barely PAY TO PLAY HOCKEY…may be struggling because you guys are being absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry this was long…but this is where my biggest frustrations stem…thanks for reading.

• dyrdom77 - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

well said

3. tfaltin - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Bcsteele’s story can be played out thousands of times across the country, and I don’t say that to diminish it but to amplify it, because that is the real world impact of the lockout. I have been decidedly on the players side up until this point because I am a believer that a signed contract should mean something. However, it is pretty clear that the frustration is mounting from every angle because, as far as CBA’s go, this should not be the hardest agreement to figure out.

With Dan Boyle’s comments, and President Obama’s comments (please leave the politics there because I don’t care if you’re red or blue), Lou Lamoriello’s remarks, and now Ryan Miller’s comments, there seems to be a shift occuring from “the owners are out to screw the players” to “both sides egos are getting in the way.” That to me is unacceptable because of the people Bcsteele knows (for example), are really the ones affected.

This is where the individuals who are in control of the respective sides matter, and I think it is pretty indisputable at this point that this is not a union problem, or a league problem, but a personality conflict. There are no good guys and bad guys anymore, it’s out of touch execs who need to feel personally vindicated as being “right” and “winning.” Sounds blatantly immature to me.

4. tfaltin - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I’d like to offer Don Fehr and Gary Bettman an all expense paid trip (wouldn’t want that to be an obstacle in terms of which side of 50/50 has to foot the bill) to Bretton Woods, New Hampshire for 3 days to really negotiate a new CBA. If 44 Allied nations could establish the post WWII financial system and the International Monetary Fund in 3 weeks of discussion in 1944, then I believe a new NHL CBA can come together in 3 days in those same rooms.

5. jmbates10 - Oct 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Bang on Ryan…..maybe he should be in the room to talk some sense into these collective egomaniacs on both sides..

6. cweez2 - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Maybe between this and Lou Lamoriello’s remarks from the owner’s side, the two chiefs will start acting on behalf of their constituencies, and not their own self-interests and concerns over their legacies.

7. leitrim - Oct 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Ryan Miller is right -the players left the deal on the table–they need to be giving back to the community now that they are not playing. My money is always going to be on billionaires not hockey players who are fortunate to make $millions.
    I am glad thow he is so concerned. But he has to do a lot more than that. Ryan likes to appear cerebral but this comment about fairness needs to be addressed to the fans who pay your significant salaries.. There is a recession going on and the athletes keep taking and taking.

8. bleed4philly - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Love this guy, class act.

9. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Nice to see him acknowledge that both sides are to blame. Unfortunately if one of the owners(and there likely are a few that just want this situation to end) were to say something similar they’d probably be fined half a million.

Flyers have many concerns