Oct 26, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
The 2013 NHL All-Star Game — set to be played at Nationwide Arena in Columbus — is in no immediate danger of being canceled.
That’s the word out of Ohio on Friday as Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch passed along word from NHL deputy commissioner Billy Daly, who said the cancelation of the game is “not imminent.”
The Blue Jackets franchise is probably breathing a small sigh of relief about that news, especially after yesterday’s report from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:
While Daly would not say exactly, it’s expected the NHL will cancel games for all of November on Friday.
The Winter Classic and All-Star Game are not expected to be part of that announcement, although they could be axed as early as next week.
The ASG is scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 27 with the skills competition set for the 26th.
It will be the first time the Blue Jackets have hosted an All-Star Game and just the second marquee NHL event in franchise history — previously, Columbus hosted the Entry Draft in 2007.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)