Oct 26, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
It turns out the NHL lockout won’t just affect the 2013 Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium.
There’ll be some collateral damage as well.
According to a report from Crain’s Detroit Business, the cancelation of the Winter Classic also means the cancellation of the Hockeytown Winter Festival, a weeklong celebration of hockey at Comerica Park featuring games at the junior, collegiate and American League levels.
“The 2012 SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival events will only take place if the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic game is played,” Wings Senior Director of Communications John Hahn told Crain’s via email.
Released in June, the schedule for the Winter Festival stretches over two weeks and is filled with events:
DEC. 15-26: Celebration of Hockey featuring amateur games, corporate outings and open skates.
DEC. 27-31: Outdoor Festival featuring interactive games, autograph signings, face painting and ice sculpture exhibits as well as musical performances and entertainment.
DEC. 27-28: Great Lakes Invitational featuring the Michigan Wolverines, Michigan State Spartans, Western Michigan Broncos and Michigan Tech Huskies (competing for the 2012 MacInnes Cup.)
DEC. 29: Ontario Hockey League doubleheader featuring the Windsor Spitfires vs. Saginaw Spirit and Plymouth Whalers vs. London Knights.
DEC. 30: American Hockey League Game featuring the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies, AHL affiliates of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.
DEC. 31: Red Wings-Maple Leafs Alumni Showdown.
With the NHL canceling all November games on Friday, there are rumblings the Winter Classic could be axed as early as next week.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)