NHL “deeply regrets” canceled games, says Daly

Oct 26, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT

Gary Bettman; Bill Daly AP

Following is a statement from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly on the cancelation of games through November:

“The National Hockey League deeply regrets having to take this action. By presenting a proposal to the NHLPA that contemplated a fair division of revenues and was responsive to Player concerns regarding the value of their contracts, we had hoped to be able to forge a long-term Collective Bargaining Agreement that would have preserved an 82-game Regular Season for our fans. Unfortunately, that did not occur.

“We acknowledge and accept that there is joint responsibility in collective bargaining and, though we are profoundly disappointed that a new agreement has not been attained to this point, we remain committed to achieving an agreement that is fair for the Players and the Clubs — one that will be good for the game and our fans.”

Nothing too noteworthy there.

We’ll see if the NHLPA has anything official to say. (Update: it does.)

1. millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

So do something about it, ya bum!

2. islesjb - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Response from the fans- “GFY”
    Response from all those workers and business owners who will be further negatively affected by the lockout from a financial standpoint- “Seriously dude, GFY”

3. bleed4philly - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Uh yeah, stop taking our money.

• georgiared - Oct 27, 2012 at 1:50 AM

But if hockey is to be played, they have to talk about money. Namely how to split it up

4. crosberries - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I give up on the NHL thanks for the childhood memories. Ill start supporting lower level hockey from now on.

• terrypegula - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM

You are full of crap. Anyone who likes the NHL enough to be as disappointed as you are, will be back the second they drop the puck.

• sizzle299 - Oct 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I disagree terry. Where you are right is that- yes, the TV’s will be on and people will watch. But I’m not alone in being totally DONE spending tons of money on hats, t-shirts, jerseys, every other item marked up 50% just because it has my teams logo on it. I probably spend at least 500-700 bucks every years on NHL licensed merchandise. That is where I’m never coming back, and if everyone made the same decision, these freakin clowns on both sides will see how much money they stand to lose even if the ratings come back after a few years.

This whole thing is ridiculous, smart people don’t do this to the fans when the fans have grown their business to the most profitable year in history. Well I’m done flushing my money down the toilet when this is the return treatment. I’ll pay my cable bill….that’s it. Let’s all do the same.

• namriverrat69 - Oct 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I am a die hard Kings fan. I renewed my season tickets for the 26th year. I will go to games, sit in my 5th row seats. Not nearly as many game though. My partners buy a majority of my tickets. Still not bad for a guy who learned about hockey in Vietnam.

Season ticket holders will still be there. A lot of new fans however will not. The NHL is shooting itself in the foot to spite its craving of $$. Fans be damned.

A number of star players are liking Europe and especially the KHL. The NHL is running the risk of losing major star power overseas. They refuse to believe it but it is fact.

The owners started this for the 3rd time under Gary Bettman. Neither of the first two lockouts had positive results. The fans were happy to have it back but we are the ones who really lost. We lost months and a season (now possibly a 2nd) which as a fan really sucks. The fans who follow the games are just as valuable a fan as a season ticket holder. All fans follow games on TV and buy the marketing gear sold in support of their teams.

Everyone has financial investment in their teams.

What benefit will we receive from this lockout?

5. footballfan - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Looks like my money is going to the USHL this season. Probably every season after too. I am tired of the big babies crying about money all the time. I am a middle class factory worker who used to spend close to $4000 a year on NHL games and such. I think I am done with that. I stayed with the league after one missed season thinking that a lesson was learned. It is no obvious that I was wrong. I agree with the above statements.. Hey NHL! GFY!!!

• terrypegula - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM

See above ^

6. phillyphan93 - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Embarrassing and Pathetic!

7. miketoasty - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

The funny thing is, from what everyone was saying is that the last deal by the owners worked, but the players want their current contracts honored, which to me is completely fair and expected. The owners need to realize they put themselves in this position, take the deal and drop the puck. Too bad it’s not going to happen. Seems like the owners knew this was coming and figured they would sign big contracts thinking they could get out of them by just “Negotiating” them out of the new CBA.

8. joeyashwi - Oct 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Miketoasty- One flaw in your comment…it makes too much sense. Common sense is not something the NHL, both sides, have.

9. goodellisruiningtheleague - Oct 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

If they really regretted it, they would get the teams back on the ice!

10. hockeyflow33 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Well it’s not like you guys can do anything about it right?

Once question I have is if you’re a hockey league, just what are you spending your time doing now instead of negotiating?

11. ducksk - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Blah blah blah. Big fat talking heads. All of them.

12. id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Every is so irrational here. Mind blowing. Relax! It’s only October! What are you getting so antsy about? We should do something else with our time. I don’t know, read a book, workout, go to bars, movies, anything that will relax you until either the season starts or gets cancelled. You can rant, curse, name call all you want when we know the season is cancelled. Right now let the business men solve their problems. Hey. Read a book about labor negotiations. That would help you fall a sleep or educate you on the process.
    Negotiating a Labor Contract: A Management Handbook (Hardcover)
    Charles S. Loughran

• millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

did that make you feel big and strong talking down to everyone like you know better?

the business men you speak of had their chance to solve their problems all summer and did nothing. now the fans are left to suffer the consequences.

our outrage is very justified.

• id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM

millertime30, I’m sorry I offended you. Of course we have every right to be upset. Are you saying that not having our hockey in October makes it right to belittle our peers with curse words and name calling? if so, then on this one I hope you agree that we disagree. The only thing I know for sure is the season is not cancelled, and that I miss the game. So, what if the business men have differences to settle? They are not the first, and won’t be the last. Collective bargaining is common, and reaching an agreement is never easy. So, for now I suggest we chill, and offer insight. How is name calling productive?

• millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I’ve got nothing against my peers. the fans. the only name-calling i’m seeing is towards the players, owners, bettman, daly, and the fehr brothers. and that does not bother me.

Do you really believe either party is looking for insight from us?

And don’t fret.. you didn’t offend me. simply pointing out that you’re trying to belittle the mindset which seems to be that of the majority of fans… most of us are pretty PO’d, in case you haven’t noticed..

• millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM

But if you’re suggesting that anyone involved in these negotiations is my ‘peer’, you need to rethink your position. my peers would be more along the lines of the stadium vendors and other staff who are suffering because of the lockout.

• id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well, these suits are just more eduucated because of their kick ass degrees and high salaries. None of which I have, but, I still consider them peers. I understand that you may think differently. Even the homeless are my peers. Not once did I write that either side cares about us right now, and why should they? I’m not a player or owner. Sorry you felt belittled by my comments. Chill! Is all I’m saying.

• millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

why chill? is all i’m saying.. i like hockey. i’m annoyed that it’s not being played.

i think the parties involved are putting their over-sized egos to greater use than they are those kick-ass degrees, and i find that incredibly frustrating.. i just don’t understand what you find to be so irrational about that.

look: i’ve seen comments actually wishing harm to those involved in the negotiations, and yes, those people are going several steps too far.

There is a deal to be had, here. The gap between the 2 sides is not even comparable to those of the recent NFL and NBA lockouts.

The only things holding this process up are egos and greed.. And these men deserve to be criticized for that.

• id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM

What I find irrational are those posts that go to far which you referred to. I also find irrational those posts that offer no insight or opinion unlike your post above. Examples of irrational posts: GFY a hole, bums, jerks f bomb. Etc etc etc…..

• millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM

If name-calling gets you that worked up, I’m afraid you may find that the world of internet comment boards and forums just isn’t the place for you.

it gets a lot worse than bums, my friend..

13. thedavesiknowiknow - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

14. dbarnes79 - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

BS!!

15. eyeh8goodell - Oct 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Crocodile tears by the owners.

16. id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Worked up? Me? Gee. The most emotion I used here was irrational. Hahahaha you call that worked up? Wow! Hahaha

• millertime30 - Oct 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM

worked up enough to leave the same exact comment on separate posts to tell all of us how irrational we are.. yeah.

• id4joey - Oct 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

You’re right millertime, shouldn’t have generalized the emotion of frustration. Not everyone called daly a bum. Oh! Wait! But, you did. Most don’t read all the articles, but you obviously do, and it bothers you. Ok. I get it now.

• millertime30 - Oct 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I did..

Are you expecting an apology? because i stand by it..

Mr. Daly is in a position to speed this thing up, but he somehow decides that his time would be more productively spent writing up press releases about how much he regrets how slowly things are going and that games are being cancelled.

That is what bothers me.

17. garryjercia - Oct 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Really? Really. Eff off NHL. You’ll not be getting any of my $ anytime soon.

18. vibes98 - Oct 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM

NHL, “We DEEPLY REGRET” having to cancel games in Nov, but you see our love of money runs deeper than the game. So Sorry fans

19. Jeff - Oct 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM