Oct 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
On Sunday, Tampa Bay prospect Vladislav Namestnikov suffered a shoulder injury while playing for AHL Syracuse.
Today, the severity of said injury was released — and it’s not good news.
Namestnikov will be out 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury, according to Crunch GM Julien BriseBois.
“It’s a tough situation for Vladdy,” head coach Jon Cooper told Syracuse.com. “He’s a rookie, one of our prized prospects. He came in here looking to make a splash, which he did. His upside is limitless.
“It’s tough to see him lose a part of his first year pro.”
Namestnikov — who’s uncle, Vyacheslav Kozlov, played in Detroit with current Bolts GM Steve Yzerman — was taken 27th overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft after a stellar rookie campaign with OHL London.
The Russian center scored 68 points in 68 games in his first year as a Knight, then followed that up with 71 points in 63 games during his sophomore campaign (he chipped in with 18 points in 19 playoff games as well.)
In his first season with Syracuse, Namestnikov had two assists in five games.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)