Oct 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
On Sunday, Tampa Bay prospect Vladislav Namestnikov suffered a shoulder injury while playing for AHL Syracuse.
Today, the severity of said injury was released — and it’s not good news.
Namestnikov will be out 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury, according to Crunch GM Julien BriseBois.
“It’s a tough situation for Vladdy,” head coach Jon Cooper told Syracuse.com. “He’s a rookie, one of our prized prospects. He came in here looking to make a splash, which he did. His upside is limitless.
“It’s tough to see him lose a part of his first year pro.”
Namestnikov — who’s uncle, Vyacheslav Kozlov, played in Detroit with current Bolts GM Steve Yzerman — was taken 27th overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft after a stellar rookie campaign with OHL London.
The Russian center scored 68 points in 68 games in his first year as a Knight, then followed that up with 71 points in 63 games during his sophomore campaign (he chipped in with 18 points in 19 playoff games as well.)
In his first season with Syracuse, Namestnikov had two assists in five games.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)