Oct 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
On Sunday, Tampa Bay prospect Vladislav Namestnikov suffered a shoulder injury while playing for AHL Syracuse.
Today, the severity of said injury was released — and it’s not good news.
Namestnikov will be out 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury, according to Crunch GM Julien BriseBois.
“It’s a tough situation for Vladdy,” head coach Jon Cooper told Syracuse.com. “He’s a rookie, one of our prized prospects. He came in here looking to make a splash, which he did. His upside is limitless.
“It’s tough to see him lose a part of his first year pro.”
Namestnikov — who’s uncle, Vyacheslav Kozlov, played in Detroit with current Bolts GM Steve Yzerman — was taken 27th overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft after a stellar rookie campaign with OHL London.
The Russian center scored 68 points in 68 games in his first year as a Knight, then followed that up with 71 points in 63 games during his sophomore campaign (he chipped in with 18 points in 19 playoff games as well.)
In his first season with Syracuse, Namestnikov had two assists in five games.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)