Oct 26, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Big news out of Russia on Friday as the KHL announced the cancellation of a pair of games to be held at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center in January.
Dynamo Moscow was set to take on SKA St. Petersburg on Jan. 19 and 20 in a pair of contests featuring two of Russia’s most famous clubs.
Dynamo has signed Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom to lockout deals with SKA has loaded up its roster with the likes of New Jersey captain Ilya Kovalchuk, St. Louis prospect Vladimir Tarasenko and Columbus goalie Sergei Bobrovsky.
“Meeting the wishes of thousands of Russian hockey fans, considering the interests of the teams Dynamo Moscow and SKA and due to the lack of certainty with the NHL lockout length, the KHL decided to change the dates of games between the teams scheduled for January 19 and 20,” the league said in a statement.
According to the KHL’s revised schedule, the two games will now be played in Russia.
The Barclays Center was originally chosen as the site for the KHL games thanks in large part to a big Russian population within the borough — and it remains unclear exactly why the games were canceled.
Some suggest it’s to keep a marquee matchup in Russia (as Mike Brehm of USA Today notes, “Dynamo, the defending league champion, and SKA rank first and second in the KHL in points and would draw big crowds if the games were held in Russia.”)
There’s also this theory, floated by Elite Prospects’ Matias Strozyk:
Brooklyn’s KHL games canceled, what a surprise. And a remarkable coincidence that it happened about 24h after the Isles move was announced.
— Matias Strozyk (@MaStrozyk) October 26, 2012
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)