Oct 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
The apps are free, available in both English and French, and there are versions intended for both kids and adults.
“This app has a variety of very useful information on concussions for parents, players, officials and volunteers,” said Hockey Canada president and CEO Bob Nicholson. He added that the apps will give you “concussion information on prevention, rules, symptoms and ‘return to play’ protocol at your fingertips.”
Crosby unfortunately has firsthand experience with concussions. He has been limited to 63 regular season games over the previous two seasons because of concussion problems.
“I feel very fortunate that hockey has been part of my life since I was very young and admire Hockey Canada’s commitment to educating families and players about all aspects of the game,” said Crosby. “It is important to always give your best effort and yet always be respectful of everyone on the ice. Be smart, stay safe and have fun.”
Preventing concussions has been a key focus on the NHL for years, but we’ve also seen a sizable number of players suffer from them over the last few seasons alone. In addition to Crosby, Chris Pronger, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Marc Savard, and Marc Staal are just a few of the examples of players who have experienced or are still recovering from concussions.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 2
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 25
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 22
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 28
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)