Oct 26, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The apps are free, available in both English and French, and there are versions intended for both kids and adults.
“This app has a variety of very useful information on concussions for parents, players, officials and volunteers,” said Hockey Canada president and CEO Bob Nicholson. He added that the apps will give you “concussion information on prevention, rules, symptoms and ‘return to play’ protocol at your fingertips.”
Crosby unfortunately has firsthand experience with concussions. He has been limited to 63 regular season games over the previous two seasons because of concussion problems.
“I feel very fortunate that hockey has been part of my life since I was very young and admire Hockey Canada’s commitment to educating families and players about all aspects of the game,” said Crosby. “It is important to always give your best effort and yet always be respectful of everyone on the ice. Be smart, stay safe and have fun.”
Preventing concussions has been a key focus on the NHL for years, but we’ve also seen a sizable number of players suffer from them over the last few seasons alone. In addition to Crosby, Chris Pronger, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Marc Savard, and Marc Staal are just a few of the examples of players who have experienced or are still recovering from concussions.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)