Oct 26, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
The connections to the Dallas Stars’ Cup-winning era continue in the St. Louis Blues organization, as the team announced that Sergei Zubov was hired as a Consultant to Hockey Operations.
He’ll oversee the Blues’ European prospects, according to the team’s report.
Zubov was a long-time lynchpin of the Stars’ defense, including when Blues GM Doug Armstrong and head coach Ken Hitchcock guided Dallas to that 1999 championship. The underrated Russian played for the Stars from the 1996-97 season until 2008-09.
He’s the all-time points leader among Russian-born blueliners with 771, which also ranks him 19th overall in NHL history, so it’s likely that he’ll have some good pointers for up-and-coming players.
(Hopefully he’ll advise the Blues’ prospects not to follow his path of being a noted cigarette smoker, though.)
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 51
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12