Oct 26, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
The connections to the Dallas Stars’ Cup-winning era continue in the St. Louis Blues organization, as the team announced that Sergei Zubov was hired as a Consultant to Hockey Operations.
He’ll oversee the Blues’ European prospects, according to the team’s report.
Zubov was a long-time lynchpin of the Stars’ defense, including when Blues GM Doug Armstrong and head coach Ken Hitchcock guided Dallas to that 1999 championship. The underrated Russian played for the Stars from the 1996-97 season until 2008-09.
He’s the all-time points leader among Russian-born blueliners with 771, which also ranks him 19th overall in NHL history, so it’s likely that he’ll have some good pointers for up-and-coming players.
(Hopefully he’ll advise the Blues’ prospects not to follow his path of being a noted cigarette smoker, though.)
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)