Oct 26, 2012, 8:27 PM EST
The connections to the Dallas Stars’ Cup-winning era continue in the St. Louis Blues organization, as the team announced that Sergei Zubov was hired as a Consultant to Hockey Operations.
He’ll oversee the Blues’ European prospects, according to the team’s report.
Zubov was a long-time lynchpin of the Stars’ defense, including when Blues GM Doug Armstrong and head coach Ken Hitchcock guided Dallas to that 1999 championship. The underrated Russian played for the Stars from the 1996-97 season until 2008-09.
He’s the all-time points leader among Russian-born blueliners with 771, which also ranks him 19th overall in NHL history, so it’s likely that he’ll have some good pointers for up-and-coming players.
(Hopefully he’ll advise the Blues’ prospects not to follow his path of being a noted cigarette smoker, though.)
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14