Oct 25, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Russia’s best prospects are gearing up to face the top players from across the Canadian Hockey League in the upcoming six-game Super Series.
The series will close with contests between the Russians and the WHL All-Stars in games on Nov. 14 and Nov. 15.
The WHL has unveiled their lineups and they’re loaded with talented defensemen that could be getting big minutes in the NHL in the coming years.
Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, and Morgan Rielly will all play in the series after being selected with the second, fourth and fifth picks respectively in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. They were the top three blueliners taken in 2012 and the only other two members of the top-five overall picks — Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk — will be part of the opposing Russian roster.
Murray is the only member of the WHL roster that also played for Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championships. If it wasn’t for the lockout, there’s a good chance he would be with the Columbus Blue Jackets right now.
The WHL roster will also include JC Lipon, who has a stunning 13 goals and 32 points in a mere 13 WHL contests this season.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)