Oct 25, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Russia’s best prospects are gearing up to face the top players from across the Canadian Hockey League in the upcoming six-game Super Series.
The series will close with contests between the Russians and the WHL All-Stars in games on Nov. 14 and Nov. 15.
The WHL has unveiled their lineups and they’re loaded with talented defensemen that could be getting big minutes in the NHL in the coming years.
Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, and Morgan Rielly will all play in the series after being selected with the second, fourth and fifth picks respectively in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. They were the top three blueliners taken in 2012 and the only other two members of the top-five overall picks — Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk — will be part of the opposing Russian roster.
Murray is the only member of the WHL roster that also played for Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championships. If it wasn’t for the lockout, there’s a good chance he would be with the Columbus Blue Jackets right now.
The WHL roster will also include JC Lipon, who has a stunning 13 goals and 32 points in a mere 13 WHL contests this season.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)