Oct 25, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Russia’s best prospects are gearing up to face the top players from across the Canadian Hockey League in the upcoming six-game Super Series.
The series will close with contests between the Russians and the WHL All-Stars in games on Nov. 14 and Nov. 15.
The WHL has unveiled their lineups and they’re loaded with talented defensemen that could be getting big minutes in the NHL in the coming years.
Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, and Morgan Rielly will all play in the series after being selected with the second, fourth and fifth picks respectively in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. They were the top three blueliners taken in 2012 and the only other two members of the top-five overall picks — Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk — will be part of the opposing Russian roster.
Murray is the only member of the WHL roster that also played for Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championships. If it wasn’t for the lockout, there’s a good chance he would be with the Columbus Blue Jackets right now.
The WHL roster will also include JC Lipon, who has a stunning 13 goals and 32 points in a mere 13 WHL contests this season.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)