Oct 25, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Russia’s best prospects are gearing up to face the top players from across the Canadian Hockey League in the upcoming six-game Super Series.
The series will close with contests between the Russians and the WHL All-Stars in games on Nov. 14 and Nov. 15.
The WHL has unveiled their lineups and they’re loaded with talented defensemen that could be getting big minutes in the NHL in the coming years.
Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, and Morgan Rielly will all play in the series after being selected with the second, fourth and fifth picks respectively in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. They were the top three blueliners taken in 2012 and the only other two members of the top-five overall picks — Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk — will be part of the opposing Russian roster.
Murray is the only member of the WHL roster that also played for Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championships. If it wasn’t for the lockout, there’s a good chance he would be with the Columbus Blue Jackets right now.
The WHL roster will also include JC Lipon, who has a stunning 13 goals and 32 points in a mere 13 WHL contests this season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)