Oct 25, 2012, 10:54 AM EDT
There was a big “get” for Division 1 — the third tier of Swedish professional hockey — on Thursday, as Huddinge IK announced the signing of Buffalo Sabres netminder Jhonas Enroth.
Enroth, 24, played for Huddinge at the junior and senior levels (when it was an Allsvenskan club) prior to joining the Sabres organization in 2008.
The Swedish third division is unique in that it’s made up of 57 teams (!!!) geographically split into six divisions. At mid-season, the top four teams in each division form three new leagues — then, at the end of the season, there’s a series of playoffs to determine promotion to the Allsvenskan. The loser is relegated to ringette or something.
As for Enroth — he’s coming off a successful “rookie” campaign that saw him named to the NHL’s 2011-12 All-Rookie team. Even though he’s 24 and debuted with the Sabres in 2009-10, Enroth was still considered a rookie last season because he’d never appeared in more than 14 games in a single season.
It’s believed his time with Huddinge will be brief — Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects notes Enroth will sign a two-game contract.
UPDATE: Enroth confirmed it’s a two-game deal via Twitter…
Signed a 2 home game deal with my hometown team @huddingehockey today!
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)