Oct 25, 2012, 10:54 AM EST
There was a big “get” for Division 1 — the third tier of Swedish professional hockey — on Thursday, as Huddinge IK announced the signing of Buffalo Sabres netminder Jhonas Enroth.
Enroth, 24, played for Huddinge at the junior and senior levels (when it was an Allsvenskan club) prior to joining the Sabres organization in 2008.
The Swedish third division is unique in that it’s made up of 57 teams (!!!) geographically split into six divisions. At mid-season, the top four teams in each division form three new leagues — then, at the end of the season, there’s a series of playoffs to determine promotion to the Allsvenskan. The loser is relegated to ringette or something.
As for Enroth — he’s coming off a successful “rookie” campaign that saw him named to the NHL’s 2011-12 All-Rookie team. Even though he’s 24 and debuted with the Sabres in 2009-10, Enroth was still considered a rookie last season because he’d never appeared in more than 14 games in a single season.
It’s believed his time with Huddinge will be brief — Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects notes Enroth will sign a two-game contract.
UPDATE: Enroth confirmed it’s a two-game deal via Twitter…
Signed a 2 home game deal with my hometown team @huddingehockey today!
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)