Oct 25, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz is coming under fire after it was learned he made $300,000 in donations to Alberta Premier Alison Redford’s political party.
Considering Katz has been attempting to build a new downtown arena for the Oilers and its construction hinges partly on a $100 million contribution from the province, it’s easy to see why this is a story.
What’s more, the maximum allowable donation from an individual is $30,000.
Granted, that limit wasn’t technically exceeded as the total contribution was split into smaller donations from Katz’s family members and employees.
The province maintains the donation didn’t buy any promises and is sticking by its original stance that no provincial money will go directly towards the arena. However, the city is free to take $100 million out of a fund the province grants municipalities for infrastructure projects.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 3
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 43
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1