Oct. 25 deadline arrives and…nothing

Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT

Gary Bettman, Donald Fehr Getty Images

Don’t expect any major announcements today, deputy commissioner Bill Daly told CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.

On the date (Oct. 25) the NHL said a new CBA must be reached in order for a full season to be played, possible announcements might have included:

—- “We have a deal! The two sides worked on it all night and an 82-game season will begin Nov. 2. Training camp starts tomorrow.”

—- “We weren’t kidding about the Oct. 25 deadline. Games have been canceled up to (fill in the blank.)”

—- “Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.”

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the second option could occur Friday. Which begs the question: How many games will be canceled?

It’s possible it could be a big chunk of the schedule so that NHL owners who also own or control their arenas can book events to fill the dates that were previously reserved for hockey.

Or, perhaps the NHL will give fans some semblance of hope for a resolution and only kick the can down the road a short distance. Say, up to the Thanksgiving Showdown (Nov. 23).

1. pistolpete31 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Doesn’t seem like either side is doing anything about it either? Where is the sense of urgency?

• bcsteele - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM

You’re correct about the sense of urgency. I find entertaining (and by that I mean it pisses me off) the fans have more urgency to spend our money on the game than either side has the desire to get something done about this mess.

I’m through picking sides between these two. I’m with the fans and the workers who use these venues to support their families who are probably struggling now. FML.

• chrisvegas - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

They are playing chicken right now. Nobody is going to give in until someone gets desperate, and that won’t happen until we go much further into this lockout. Unfortunately, the only ones who are desperate are the fans. Everyone says the players can’t win this, but I am not so sure about that. If it is inevitable that the players will lose this argument, then why would they be so determined to stick to what they feel is a fair deal? Players have flocked to other leagues which tells me they from the beginning have prepared to miss a significant portion of the season. The owners can afford to miss this season, but they will have trouble missing a second season with that TV contract. The players know this and will have more of a chance of getting what they think is fair after a season is missed. I really believe the only way we have hockey this season is if the Owners come of their unreasonable demands. The players are much more united then they were in 04. Back in 04 the owners had the high ground and I defended them, but this time around the players are right. Don’t expect a season this year, that way if we get one it will be a pleasant surprise.

2. echech88 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

If you go by last year’s NBA lockout, it seems like things got done because the owners were unwilling to have Christmas Day go by without games since that is when the casual fan would really notice it being gone.

Have to think the Winter Classic is the day owners will feel squeamish cancelling. If we get past that with no deal, kiss the entire season goodbye (again).

• id4joey - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Here’s a snippet about how the NBA impasse played out last year; (note economic issues. Sound familiar) Hockey will be here. When? I hope soon enough so they don’t cancel the Winter Classic.

Source: Wikipedia

The 2011 NBA lockout was the fourth lockout in the history of the National Basketball Association (NBA). The owners began the work stoppage upon expiration of the 2005 collective bargaining agreement (CBA). The 161-day lockout began on July 1, 2011 and ended on December 8, 2011. It delayed the start of the 2011–12 regular season from November 1 to December 25, and it reduced the regular season from 82 to 66 games.

The main issues dividing the owners and the players, represented by the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA), were the division of revenue and the structure of the salary cap and luxury tax. During the lockout, teams could not trade, sign or contact players, and players could not access NBA team facilities, trainers or staffs. Some players signed contracts to play in other countries, mostly in Europe and Asia, with most of those players having the option to return to the NBA upon the lockout’s conclusion. After a tentative deal was reached on November 26, owners allowed players to have voluntary workouts at team sites starting December 1. After the deal was ratified on December 8, training camps, trades and free agency began the next day.

3. sjsharks66 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Pistol, the players wanted to meet with the owners. About what, I’m not sure. The owners seem like they are not giving up their proposal. Rumor has it the players are fine with the 50-50 cut but they want their contracts upheld. We can thank parise, suter and webers agents for this. They knew a CBA was just around the corner and still let the deals go through.

• rogersjd16 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Ahhh, the owners have to offer them the deals first. Are you kidding? How can you possibly blame the agents / players for accepting strong market value contracts 3 months ago? If anyone is to fault for preemptively brokering contracts the eve of the CBA expiring it’s the owners. Especially considering the length of those deals when every single owner either A) hated long term length contracts themselves anyhow and / or B) knew the league itself hated them given the discrepancy in yearly $$ allocation and resulting cap hits between early and latter years.

• mmchugh619 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

So it’s the players and the agents fault for getting as much as they can, not the “I’m crying because we’re poor” owners and GMs for offering the contracts in the first place. I agree that the length of contracts and the money being paid is absurd, but if that is the NHL’s main complaint, how about not offering them in the first place.

• comeonnowguys - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM

IIRC the deal started at 57/43 and went down to 50/50, which isn’t exactly the same as 50/50.

Also, I can’t fault the agents for operating under the same parameters as Kovy’s, Hossa’s, etc. agents. This was already in the works because of what already existed.

4. noisetheorem - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Even if they miraculously get the season started tomorrow, I have already made up my mind that I will spend no money on hockey this year. Last year I probably spent about $2000 through the course of the season going to games an buying stuff. I will also accept no NHL related gifts from family members at christmas.

I will watch the games on TV as I have in the past, but I will not give even one dollar to them. Call it my own personal lockout.

Maybe Ill go to a game next year. Maybe I wont. We will just have to see.

• Jason Brough - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

“I will also accept no NHL related gifts from family members at Christmas.”
      Please post video of that.

5. bruinpred - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Yeah, let’s blame the players for being offered a ridiculous amount of money and taking it. Dirty thieves!

6. spongebobsportspants - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Yes, I would like a video of refusing an Xmas gift from a family member because its NHL memorabilia.

7. antkowiak666 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

do everyone a favor and just cancel the season already!

8. capsfan19 - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I think bettman prays to his demonic pagan gods for support.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

That’s common knowledge already.

9. cspsrbums - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I am in no NHL merchandise for a long time

10. mmchugh619 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Bettman makes me sick. How do you review 3 counter proposals in a little less then an hour. Then when the NHLPA request more meetings, you say only if they use your proposal, and agree to no to conditions. When one my kids does that to their brother or sister, they get put into timeout until they learn to get along properly. maybe it’s time everyone starts looking at putting Bettman into a permanent timeout.

11. habsman - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

The players cannot win vs. the owners. They are only delaying the inevitable. This will become increasingly clear once games are actually cancelled, and the lost pay cheques start piling up. The system is out of whack and the owners are not going to back down until they get what they want. So the PA can postulate, they can kick and scream, they can cry in the fetal position if they wish, but the bottom line is they are going to lose this battle. The question is will they cut their losses now and make the best of the latest league offer, or will they prolong the stupidity only to sign the same basic offer down the road.

• dyrdom77 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Well said

• chrisvegas - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Actually I think the players are more capable of holding out a long time this time around. The NHL owners can miss this season but if they miss more then one season they are going to have trouble with that TV contract. It is interesting to note that the players know that. I think this is why so many went overseas as the players planned to miss this season.

• rabidbillsfan - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

@habsman

Very Well said, I have been saying the same thing since this all started. @Chrisvegas, what do you think these players are making overseas? Many have signed in Tier-2 and Tier-3 leauges, what do you think they are making? I’d bet its less than $1,000 dollars a game. Here’s the deal, the game could die and the Owners would still be Millionaires, and Billionaires, the players would not. So, let me ask you again? Who has more to lose? I’m not picking sides, but I’m a realist, the only way this gets settled is for the players to back off the hardball and throw an extremly reasonable offer at the owners, one that meets more of their demands than of the players. Until that happens, hockey will continue to erode and soon there will be no professional North American Ice to play on (albeit, that is a long ways off). Like I said, a 50/50 split now for the players will have to be a 45/55 split next season for them to recoup lost money, because the overall pie will be smaller.

• chrisvegas - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

@rabidbillsfan – I’m not saying they are making the same money as they make in the NHL. I’m saying they are prepared to hold out for a long period of time because they refuse to give in to the Owners two lockouts in a row. Also it is the principle of it for them as they feel the owners have to honor the current contracts. The players already agreed to take a lesser cut, but I don’t think the owners are going to get what they want which is a MAJOR reduction in pay. If I am wrong the lockout will end very soon, but so far all signs point to me being right. If the players were going to give in so easily they would have done it NOW so they can get paid for a full season. THey are missing paychecks which tells me they are very serious.

12. therealjr - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I’ve got to stop checking this site every day like a fool thinking something will be done. I agree, there is now very little incentive for either side to compromise until a deal needs to get done for a “Black Friday” season start. If that craps out, then you are looking at another month before the urgency to save the Winter Classic kicks in. The 48 game season of 1994 started on January 20, so I guess that’s pretty close to the drop dead date.

• id4joey - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yeah! They may have to cancel the WC soon. There is a lot of prep time needed for all the activities of the this event. Alumni, The big game, college game etc…. The cancellation of this game may happen much sooner than we think. Perhaps as early as the first week of Nov.at best mid Nov.

13. aventador12 - Oct 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Not surprised. Game-Over. Makes one wonder if both sides even think about the fans and how much of most, if not all, they are pi$$ing-off and that will eventually lose interest as it is.

14. sjsharks66 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I’m not saying the owners are not to blame. They offered big money to star players knowing the CBA wanted to cut them down. That does not mean take away the responsibility of the agents. They also knew a new CBA was coming, dealing mainly with money. How could you , as a professional agent not think think they would want to cut contracts?

If a man shakes another mans hand it’s a deal and should be upheld. This is 2012, since when does that happen anymore??

Look I hate the greedy few owners that are holding this up, but I don’t feel sympathy or take blame away from the players like parise, suter and their agents.

15. ducksk - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

It’s not just about the $. It’s egos, big ones on both sides with teams of lawyers and accountants for both. Fehr and Bettman are doing what they are told, just like you would. They are not the decision makers in this. FACT! The owners will keep lockout as long as it takes to make them feel like they won. And they will. Players need to decide if they want to play in NHL in the new CBA or move on.

16. gillette2112 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

All this talk for everyone. Be a hockey fan holy smokes. Boycott all you guys want. Your boycott is something you love if you do this your not a true fan if hockey . I’m a hockey player have been for a super long time and I won’t boycott the league or getting gifts because its something I love and always will lockout or not.

• mpg44 - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Dude…. The NHL IS NOT THE ONLY HOCKEY GAME IN TOWNS !! I say boycott the NHL , and support local and junior hockey. Echl, agl, other various leagues . But being a “TRUE HOCKEY FAN ” you should allready know this!!

17. Stiller43 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Noisetheorem,

I understand you may already get the local teams on tv, and the occasional versus (or whatever it is) game for “free,” but wouln’t you watching help generate to the ratings and thus help the NHL get a bigger TV deal?

You’re still contributing to the nhl’s bottom line!

And I, like many, would love to see you turn down some NHL gift…perhaps a signed and personalized jersey from your favorite player.

18. rsl22 - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM

How are the players not doing the math in their heads and saying, “if we can cancel this season, and don’t make any salary at all, losing 100% is a lot worse than 7%.”

Losing 100% for one year is about the same as 7% over 14 seasons, and even if these players were thinking of such long careers, the time value of money is significant, and $1MM now is worth a lot more than $1MM in 2026 (around $2MM with 4% interest).

(Also, I’m not on the owners side at all, they can go to hell.)

• rodeoclowndc - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Because the star players are living nicely off of last year’s $3.5 mil or whatever was in their contract.

19. cvgconstruction - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Maybe betman and fehr should see how the fans feel, I live in Mn. I can watch hockey when ever I want, it is not the NHL but the gophers aren’t bad. The fan base will continue to erode, and pretty soon will stop coming back. Last year was huge for the NHL because of the nba strike, now that momentum is lost!

20. rodeoclowndc - Oct 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Here’s yet another conspiracy theory for you, coming from me, a self-admitted Blue Jackets fan (and you know it takes guts to admit that)…

I wonder if part of the reason the All-Star game was awarded to Columbus was that it coincided with the end of the CBA? With the little general’s propensity to lockouts, I wonder if he was thinking, “Well, as we get close to scuttling the ’12-13 season, I don’t want the fans getting all riled up about missing the All-Star Game, so we’ll give it to some crap-hole like, oh, maybe Tampa Bay, or – NO – I GOT IT!!! Let’s have it in COLUMBUS!!! That way NO ONE will even care!”

Discuss…

(I gotta take this tin foil hat off – it’s making me dizzy.)

21. chrisvegas - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

They aren’t even remotely close to a deal.

22. joeyashwi - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Hockey is good. No hockey is bad.

23. comeonnowguys - Oct 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM

If the players and the owners show no urgency to get back to hockey, how can they expect their fans to behave any differently?

Screw them both. NFL is turning into a year-round event anyway.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches