Oct 25, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
After months of waiting for the lockout to be resolved, Scott Hartnell has finally decided to go play in Europe.
And there’s no surprise about which team he’s agreed to join.
The Flyers forward is a part-owner in SM-liiga club KalPa — along with Philly teammate Kimmo Timonen and ex-Flyer Sami Kapanen — and is reportedly set to join the team on Nov. 15.
The mid-November start date is contingent upon the NHL and NHLPA still ignoring each other like an unhappy married couple.
Finnish news outlet Savon Sanomat first reported the story, claiming insurance on Hartnell’s contract — the six-year, $28.5 million deal signed with the Flyers this summer — will cost around $52,000 per month.
In KalPa, Hartnell will skate along fellow locked-out NHLer Craig Smith, who signed on in early October.
The Nashville Predators forward had an outstanding rookie campaign in 2011-12, scoring 14G-22A-36PTS in 72 games as a rookie while participating in the NHL All Star weekend skills competition in Ottawa.
Smith is off to a hot start with KalPa, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS in his first six games.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators