Oct 25, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
After months of waiting for the lockout to be resolved, Scott Hartnell has finally decided to go play in Europe.
And there’s no surprise about which team he’s agreed to join.
The Flyers forward is a part-owner in SM-liiga club KalPa — along with Philly teammate Kimmo Timonen and ex-Flyer Sami Kapanen — and is reportedly set to join the team on Nov. 15.
The mid-November start date is contingent upon the NHL and NHLPA still ignoring each other like an unhappy married couple.
Finnish news outlet Savon Sanomat first reported the story, claiming insurance on Hartnell’s contract — the six-year, $28.5 million deal signed with the Flyers this summer — will cost around $52,000 per month.
In KalPa, Hartnell will skate along fellow locked-out NHLer Craig Smith, who signed on in early October.
The Nashville Predators forward had an outstanding rookie campaign in 2011-12, scoring 14G-22A-36PTS in 72 games as a rookie while participating in the NHL All Star weekend skills competition in Ottawa.
Smith is off to a hot start with KalPa, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS in his first six games.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)