Oct 25, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
Larry Quinn feels the same way most hockey fans do these days – baffled that the NHL and NHLPA can’t reach a new CBA.
The Sabres’ former executive and minority owner recently shared his thoughts on the lockout with ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun.
“I really believe there’s a deal to be made here,” Quinn said. “And I’m shocked that given the money involved … I mean, the person that gets hurt the most in this is the player. You’ve got a diminishing asset and, unlike the owners, everything they make is a profit and it cannot be replaced. That’s just the nature of the beast. The fact that their limited livelihood would be jeopardized once again, something is just wrong. It makes you wonder what interests are being represented and why.”
We’re not positive what Quinn meant with that last part, but if we had to guess, we’d wager it was a shot at NHLPA chief Donald Fehr, who some have accused of putting his legacy ahead of the current players’ interests.
Quinn also believes the players need to remember that, no matter the system, their salaries have always risen.
“The proof is in the pudding from the last CBA that their salaries went up 30 percent,” he said, “and that CBA was supposed to be the mother of all salary reductions.”
Translation: Do what needs to be done to get back to work.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)