Oct 25, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
Larry Quinn feels the same way most hockey fans do these days – baffled that the NHL and NHLPA can’t reach a new CBA.
The Sabres’ former executive and minority owner recently shared his thoughts on the lockout with ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun.
“I really believe there’s a deal to be made here,” Quinn said. “And I’m shocked that given the money involved … I mean, the person that gets hurt the most in this is the player. You’ve got a diminishing asset and, unlike the owners, everything they make is a profit and it cannot be replaced. That’s just the nature of the beast. The fact that their limited livelihood would be jeopardized once again, something is just wrong. It makes you wonder what interests are being represented and why.”
We’re not positive what Quinn meant with that last part, but if we had to guess, we’d wager it was a shot at NHLPA chief Donald Fehr, who some have accused of putting his legacy ahead of the current players’ interests.
Quinn also believes the players need to remember that, no matter the system, their salaries have always risen.
“The proof is in the pudding from the last CBA that their salaries went up 30 percent,” he said, “and that CBA was supposed to be the mother of all salary reductions.”
Translation: Do what needs to be done to get back to work.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)