Oct 24, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT
While he’s yet to win — or even be nominated for — the NHL’s GM of the Year award, Ken Holland will receive an equally impressive honor on Nov. 8, when the Detroit Executives Association names him its executive of the year.
“It’s an honor,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press about award, which will be presented on Nov. 8. “I’m fortunate that I get to work in a city that is passionate about our team and our sport, that I work for great owners, and with some of the best people on and off the ice.”
Founded in 1926, the DEA (no, not that DEA) is comprised of “business owners and decision makers” in and around the Detroit metropolitan area.
The group’s annual executive award has gone to a number of distinguished individuals including Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos (as the CEO of Compuware), Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, ePrize founder and CEO Josh Linkner, General Motors executive Robert Lutz, and DTE Energy CEO Anthony Earley.
Holland, 56, got into the general management game in 1997, winning his first Stanley Cup that year as the assistant GM (under Jim Devellano and Scotty Bowman), then added three more (1998, 2002, 2008) while holding the full general manager’s title.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)