Oct 24, 2012, 6:48 PM EST
Even before the lockout went into full swing, Rogers was in the red with regards to their investment into Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, according to a Globe and Mail report.
Their partial ownership of MLSE — which controls the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Marlies, and Toronto FC — resulted in an loss of $8 million for the quarter that ended on Sept. 30.
It’s worth noting that the lockout only cost the Leafs two home preseason contests during that three-month period, so the revenue losses related to the NHL franchise probably wasn’t substantial. That likely won’t be the case for their next quarter if this lockout continues.
The Leafs generated about $200 million in hockey-related revenues last season even though they didn’t play in a single postseason contest.
They were the richest team in the league and paid out $20 million in revenue sharing. That figure could go up depending on the terms of the next CBA. Their profit margin might also increase if the player’s share of hockey-related revenues goes below the old 57% — which seems highly probable at this point.
At the same time, because the Leafs are the league’s richest team, they also stand to potentially lose the most in missed short-term profits if the lockout continues.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)