Oct 24, 2012, 6:48 PM EDT
Even before the lockout went into full swing, Rogers was in the red with regards to their investment into Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, according to a Globe and Mail report.
Their partial ownership of MLSE — which controls the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Marlies, and Toronto FC — resulted in an loss of $8 million for the quarter that ended on Sept. 30.
It’s worth noting that the lockout only cost the Leafs two home preseason contests during that three-month period, so the revenue losses related to the NHL franchise probably wasn’t substantial. That likely won’t be the case for their next quarter if this lockout continues.
The Leafs generated about $200 million in hockey-related revenues last season even though they didn’t play in a single postseason contest.
They were the richest team in the league and paid out $20 million in revenue sharing. That figure could go up depending on the terms of the next CBA. Their profit margin might also increase if the player’s share of hockey-related revenues goes below the old 57% — which seems highly probable at this point.
At the same time, because the Leafs are the league’s richest team, they also stand to potentially lose the most in missed short-term profits if the lockout continues.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)