Oct 24, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The mayor of Markham is pledging transparency when it comes to the proposed construction of an NHL-caliber arena.
In a statement released on the city’s website, mayor Frank Scarpitti promises to keep residents of the Toronto suburb fully informed on any and all developments.
Concerns have been raised over the use of public funds to build the rink that could potentially house a second NHL team in the Greater Toronto Area.
“First, the City of Markham has NOT entered into any binding contracts committing to the proposed arena,” Scarpitti said in the statement.
“Second, a draft Financial Framework was released in April of this year. This was the first of many steps necessary for the City and the private parties involved to work out further details that would become part of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), which will be part of a transparent process. The MOU will be shared publicly for residents’ feedback.”
Scarpitti expects the MOU to be released in the “coming months” and that it “will be subject to independent third party review.”
Currently the plan calls for the city to take on $325 million in debt to construct the arena. Businessmen Graeme Roustan and Rudy Bratty would then pay back half the $325 million, plus interest. The other half would come from residential developers via a levy on new homes.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)