Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Following are the highlights from Wednesday’s press conference at Barclays Center announcing the New York Islanders are moving to Brooklyn.
Isles owner Charles Wang:
—- 25-year “ironclad” lease to play at Barclays Center starting in 2015-16.
—- Team name will remain New York Islanders. (Will not be Brooklyn Islanders.)
—- “Tried very hard” to keep the Islanders in Nassau County, but ultimately had to move on.
—- Will honor lease at Nassau Coliseum that expires after the 2014-15 season.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman:
—- To Isles fans: “You don’t have to worry about the future of this club.”
—- Current capacity of Barclays Center is officially 14,500. A few hundred seats may be added, but the size is not a concern. Cites Winnipeg’s success in a smaller arena.
—- On the lockout: “The union has chosen not to engage on our proposal.” Says 82-game season looking unlikely, though time still left on the clock.
New York mayor Michal Bloomberg:
—- Easy to get to Barclays Center via public transit.
—- Rangers-Islanders rivalry just got bigger.
—- Brooklyn will help Islanders “get their mojo back”
Barclays Center majority owner Bruce Ratner:
—- For keeping team in the local market, “Charles Wang is the real hero today.”
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 1
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 9
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)