Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Following are the highlights from Wednesday’s press conference at Barclays Center announcing the New York Islanders are moving to Brooklyn.
Isles owner Charles Wang:
—- 25-year “ironclad” lease to play at Barclays Center starting in 2015-16.
—- Team name will remain New York Islanders. (Will not be Brooklyn Islanders.)
—- “Tried very hard” to keep the Islanders in Nassau County, but ultimately had to move on.
—- Will honor lease at Nassau Coliseum that expires after the 2014-15 season.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman:
—- To Isles fans: “You don’t have to worry about the future of this club.”
—- Current capacity of Barclays Center is officially 14,500. A few hundred seats may be added, but the size is not a concern. Cites Winnipeg’s success in a smaller arena.
—- On the lockout: “The union has chosen not to engage on our proposal.” Says 82-game season looking unlikely, though time still left on the clock.
New York mayor Michal Bloomberg:
—- Easy to get to Barclays Center via public transit.
—- Rangers-Islanders rivalry just got bigger.
—- Brooklyn will help Islanders “get their mojo back”
Barclays Center majority owner Bruce Ratner:
—- For keeping team in the local market, “Charles Wang is the real hero today.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)