Oct 24, 2012, 2:04 PM EDT
Following are the highlights from Wednesday’s press conference at Barclays Center announcing the New York Islanders are moving to Brooklyn.
Isles owner Charles Wang:
—- 25-year “ironclad” lease to play at Barclays Center starting in 2015-16.
—- Team name will remain New York Islanders. (Will not be Brooklyn Islanders.)
—- “Tried very hard” to keep the Islanders in Nassau County, but ultimately had to move on.
—- Will honor lease at Nassau Coliseum that expires after the 2014-15 season.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman:
—- To Isles fans: “You don’t have to worry about the future of this club.”
—- Current capacity of Barclays Center is officially 14,500. A few hundred seats may be added, but the size is not a concern. Cites Winnipeg’s success in a smaller arena.
—- On the lockout: “The union has chosen not to engage on our proposal.” Says 82-game season looking unlikely, though time still left on the clock.
New York mayor Michal Bloomberg:
—- Easy to get to Barclays Center via public transit.
—- Rangers-Islanders rivalry just got bigger.
—- Brooklyn will help Islanders “get their mojo back”
Barclays Center majority owner Bruce Ratner:
—- For keeping team in the local market, “Charles Wang is the real hero today.”
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)