Oct 24, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
A full NHL season isn’t possible unless it starts by Nov. 2, deputy commissioner Bill Daly stressed Wednesday to the Canadian Press.
Which is to say, a full NHL season is extremely unlikely.
The league has set a deadline of Oct. 25 for a new CBA to be reached in order for each team to hold a week-long training camp and play 82 regular-season games. Given today is Oct. 24 and no talks have been scheduled between the league and players, a shortened season appears all fans can hope for.
There’s been talk the NHL could push back its deadline and still play a full season. But assuming Daly isn’t bluffing, that’s not the case.
The NBA played a shortened 66-game season last year following a lockout.
The NHL played a shortened 48-game season following the 1994-95 lockout.
Update (1:52 p.m. ET):
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly in email to The Buffalo News: "It's clear we aren't going to have a deal any time soon."—
John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) October 24, 2012
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)