Oct 24, 2012, 1:05 PM EST
A full NHL season isn’t possible unless it starts by Nov. 2, deputy commissioner Bill Daly stressed Wednesday to the Canadian Press.
Which is to say, a full NHL season is extremely unlikely.
The league has set a deadline of Oct. 25 for a new CBA to be reached in order for each team to hold a week-long training camp and play 82 regular-season games. Given today is Oct. 24 and no talks have been scheduled between the league and players, a shortened season appears all fans can hope for.
There’s been talk the NHL could push back its deadline and still play a full season. But assuming Daly isn’t bluffing, that’s not the case.
The NBA played a shortened 66-game season last year following a lockout.
The NHL played a shortened 48-game season following the 1994-95 lockout.
Update (1:52 p.m. ET):
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly in email to The Buffalo News: "It's clear we aren't going to have a deal any time soon."—
John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) October 24, 2012
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)