Oct 24, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
We’re 39 days into this lockout and the players have evidently exhausted their supply of metaphors.
“Maybe they’re looking at the season like an advent calendar – like Christmas is coming and they’re taking their chocolates out one day at a time,” Chimera said. “And when the big chocolate comes they make a proposal.”
Chimera hopes that the, uh, “big chocolate,” is an 82-game season, but he doesn’t “know if they seriously want that as a group.”
It seems reasonable to assume that the league actually does want an 82-game season, just like the players do. That’s never been the issue. The issue is that neither side is currently willing to accept the other’s offer for the sake of preserving a full schedule.
Chimera reiterated the union’s position that it has interest in meeting with the league. However, the NHL doesn’t want to meet up because, as NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly put it in a CSN Chicago report, “The Union has rejected the proposal we made last Tuesday and is not offering another one. We see nothing to be gained at this point by meeting just to meet.”
Meanwhile, the lockout drags on with the fans just hoping that by Christmas time, the NHL will have more to offer them than coal.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)