Oct 24, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
We’re 39 days into this lockout and the players have evidently exhausted their supply of metaphors.
“Maybe they’re looking at the season like an advent calendar – like Christmas is coming and they’re taking their chocolates out one day at a time,” Chimera said. “And when the big chocolate comes they make a proposal.”
Chimera hopes that the, uh, “big chocolate,” is an 82-game season, but he doesn’t “know if they seriously want that as a group.”
It seems reasonable to assume that the league actually does want an 82-game season, just like the players do. That’s never been the issue. The issue is that neither side is currently willing to accept the other’s offer for the sake of preserving a full schedule.
Chimera reiterated the union’s position that it has interest in meeting with the league. However, the NHL doesn’t want to meet up because, as NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly put it in a CSN Chicago report, “The Union has rejected the proposal we made last Tuesday and is not offering another one. We see nothing to be gained at this point by meeting just to meet.”
Meanwhile, the lockout drags on with the fans just hoping that by Christmas time, the NHL will have more to offer them than coal.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)