Oct 24, 2012, 10:49 AM EST
Say hello to the Brooklyn Islanders. Or maybe it’ll be the New York Islanders that play in Brooklyn. (Update: It will still be the New York Islanders.)
Regardless, the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn for the 2015-16 season and beyond. The club will make the announcement this afternoon at the Barclays Center.
It’s an announcement many didn’t expect to happen so soon. The Isles’ lease at the aging Nassau Coliseum doesn’t expire until the end of the 2014-15 season; however, after trying to get a new arena built for years, apparently owner Charles Wang has decided to go with Plan B.
The Islanders’ name and logo will remain unchanged.
As it currently exists, the Barclays Center is not an ideal NHL venue. It was built for basketball and is now home to the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets. Its capacity for hockey is just 14,500, which would make it the smallest venue in the NHL.
Whether anything can be done to make the building more hockey friendly isn’t clear. Its horseshoe seating configuration would certainly make it unique.
Attending today’s announcement will be Wang, Barclays Center majority owner Bruce Ratner, New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough president Marty Markowitz, Islanders general manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark.
Ratner has aggressively courted the Islanders to make Barclays Center their new home.
What does it mean for the team? Fans will hope it’s a return to the glory years of the 1970s and 1980s — the club won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 to 1983. But since 1988, the Isles have missed the playoffs in 16 of 23 seasons and advanced past the first round just once.
The Islanders had the lowest payroll in the NHL last season, according to CapGeek.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)