Oct 24, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Say hello to the Brooklyn Islanders. Or maybe it’ll be the New York Islanders that play in Brooklyn. (Update: It will still be the New York Islanders.)
Regardless, the Islanders are moving to Brooklyn for the 2015-16 season and beyond. The club will make the announcement this afternoon at the Barclays Center.
It’s an announcement many didn’t expect to happen so soon. The Isles’ lease at the aging Nassau Coliseum doesn’t expire until the end of the 2014-15 season; however, after trying to get a new arena built for years, apparently owner Charles Wang has decided to go with Plan B.
The Islanders’ name and logo will remain unchanged.
As it currently exists, the Barclays Center is not an ideal NHL venue. It was built for basketball and is now home to the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets. Its capacity for hockey is just 14,500, which would make it the smallest venue in the NHL.
Whether anything can be done to make the building more hockey friendly isn’t clear. Its horseshoe seating configuration would certainly make it unique.
Attending today’s announcement will be Wang, Barclays Center majority owner Bruce Ratner, New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough president Marty Markowitz, Islanders general manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark.
Ratner has aggressively courted the Islanders to make Barclays Center their new home.
What does it mean for the team? Fans will hope it’s a return to the glory years of the 1970s and 1980s — the club won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 to 1983. But since 1988, the Isles have missed the playoffs in 16 of 23 seasons and advanced past the first round just once.
The Islanders had the lowest payroll in the NHL last season, according to CapGeek.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)