Oct 23, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
After hearing all day about how no talks had been scheduled between the players and owners, the NHLPA pulled a late surprise tonight.
After convening an executive board call, the NHLPA has requested to meet with the NHL tomorrow. The hang-up on all this? The NHL may not want to meet.
“They suggested they were willing to meet. But they also told us they weren’t interested in the proposal made last Tuesday and that they weren’t prepared to make their own proposal. Not sure what we would be meeting about.”
That’s less-than positive talk from the league.
Perhaps the players’ union has softened its stance on the NHL’s offer and wants to tweak some things. Perhaps this is just more PR angling to try and show the fans who’s trying to do work. Either way, talking would seem to be better than not talking at this juncture but hey, I’m no labor expert.
Update:NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr had this to say about Daly’s statement:
“The league is apparently unwilling to meet. That is unfortunate as it is hard to make progress without talking.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)