Oct 23, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
After hearing all day about how no talks had been scheduled between the players and owners, the NHLPA pulled a late surprise tonight.
After convening an executive board call, the NHLPA has requested to meet with the NHL tomorrow. The hang-up on all this? The NHL may not want to meet.
“They suggested they were willing to meet. But they also told us they weren’t interested in the proposal made last Tuesday and that they weren’t prepared to make their own proposal. Not sure what we would be meeting about.”
That’s less-than positive talk from the league.
Perhaps the players’ union has softened its stance on the NHL’s offer and wants to tweak some things. Perhaps this is just more PR angling to try and show the fans who’s trying to do work. Either way, talking would seem to be better than not talking at this juncture but hey, I’m no labor expert.
Update:NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr had this to say about Daly’s statement:
“The league is apparently unwilling to meet. That is unfortunate as it is hard to make progress without talking.”
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 42
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 1
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (44)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)