Players request meeting with owners; Daly: “Not sure what we would be meeting about”

Oct 23, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT

Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby AP

After hearing all day about how no talks had been scheduled between the players and owners, the NHLPA pulled a late surprise tonight.

After convening an executive board call, the NHLPA has requested to meet with the NHL tomorrow. The hang-up on all this? The NHL may not want to meet.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells Renaud Lavoie of RDS that he’s skeptical of why exactly the players’ association wants to meet.

“They suggested they were willing to meet. But they also told us they weren’t interested in the proposal made last Tuesday and that they weren’t prepared to make their own proposal. Not sure what we would be meeting about.”

That’s less-than positive talk from the league.

Perhaps the players’ union has softened its stance on the NHL’s offer and wants to tweak some things. Perhaps this is just more PR angling to try and show the fans who’s trying to do work. Either way, talking would seem to be better than not talking at this juncture but hey, I’m no labor expert.

Update:NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr had this to say about Daly’s statement:

“The league is apparently unwilling to meet. That is unfortunate as it is hard to make progress without talking.”

Indeed.

1. id4joey - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Oh! The clock is ticking. A resolution to this conflict is eminent. Stay tuned, fans! Our hockey will be here soon.

• stakex - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Please don’t be so nieve… this is just a PR move to try and win some favor with the fans.

What both sides need to do is stop playing the PR game, and start trying to figure out a deal both sides can live with. There HAS to be one, and that should be the focus… not winning the support of the fans. Because you know what? Getting a deal done is the only real way to win over the fans right now.

• blomfeld - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM

back off Stakex ! … seriously

• millertime30 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

nieve, huh?

2. jimw81 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I hope people realize that Bettman and group of 8 owners are self-destructing the league to their own likening. Yeh, people think fehr is creep but this is NOT on the players. They tried to negotiate but Bettman and group of 8 never want to negotiate from day one. I hope nhlpa starts investigation of Labor laws being broken by Bettman and group of 8 owners.

• ron05342 - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I am sick and tired of hearing about this conspiracy theory.

Name the eight if you know so much.

• blomfeld - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

- Pearl Harbor
        – JFK @ Dealey Plaza
        – RFK @ Ambassador Hotel
        – Princess Diana
        – Tower 7 on 9-11
        – Pentagon on 9-11
        – Marilyn Monroe
        – Martin Luther King

and for kicks, the “fake” moon landings as presented by film master Stanley Kubrick ! :)

• chrisvegas - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Ya what is it with these conspiracy theories? Rich people conspiring to make more money? Everyone knows that doesn’t happen…

• stakex - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Take of the tin foil hat…. there are no NHL owners who are actually trying to destroy the league. Thats just fure fantasy. The fact is there are quite a few owners who are losing a lot of money right now, so to think they actually want to see the lockout drag on is a joke.

• jimw81 - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM

your argument is flawed. owners are actually saving $$$ during lockout.

• blomfeld - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM

that’s correct friend … though that will only apply in the short term … operations need to commence with 3-4 weeks time, otherwise Operation “Fake Lockout” will start to have the reverse “intended” effect …

• pkeenan2012 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I think you may be partially right, but I also feel that the original 6 still have a little more power than some of the others. Also I believe that if they don’t fix revenue shareing we will be right back in the same mess 6 years from now. Those larger market teams just are not interested in helping fix the problem of overexpansion

3. antkowiak666 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

i’m so sick and tired of getting my hopes up,then having them crash and burn.so i could really care less.when they reach a deal,let me know.

4. mgp1219 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

It may be just a PR move on part of the players or perhaps they have something new to offer; either way, Daly’s comments prove what an a-hole he is. No need for him to make any comment, let alone a negative one.

• stakex - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Well he does have a slight point. The players aren’t interested in the offer the owners made last week, and don’t have a new offer…. what exactlly do they want to meet for? Thats a valid question.

• millertime30 - Oct 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

oh, the Fehr brothers must have told you they had nothing new to offer then, right.

sorry. forget just how plugged in your are, sometimes, stakex

5. id4joey - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Fans, this is NOT a PR move. Think about it. GB gave Jamison another extension for the purchase of the Coyotes, which should align with the start of the season. The NHL lockout is following the same script as the one played out in the NBA . Why would either want to cancel the season?

See Wikipedia.
    The owners began the work stoppage upon expiration of the 2005 collective bargaining agreement (CBA). The 161-day lockout began on July 1, 2011 and ended on December 8, 2011. It delayed the start of the 2011–12 regular season from November 1 to December 25, and it reduced the regular season from 82 to 66 games

6. dannythebisforbeast - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Hey daly FU. don’t meet don’t negotiate and don’t play. f the season. come back next yea and if your lucky the fans will return by the time the next lockout looms.

7. ducksk - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Wow. And “de Furhers” didn’t step in and speak? Crack in his armor? Maybe players want to take things in own hands….”it’s a almost great day for hockey” please boyz get er done!!!!!

8. blomfeld - Oct 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Much Ado About Nothing ?

Friends … today here in my study, I found myself at one point in repose whilst I reflected upon all that Gary has had to endure during these trying and difficult times. His cannot be any easy job, to say the least. And nor can the path which he valiantly chooses to pursue, be any easy one to traverse. Yet thence from my pensive moment, it all of a sudden dawned upon me … “yes, there is indeed a method to the madness after all !”.

To this day and for the life of me, I’ve only seen one other person here at PHT who sees things for what they are as I do ? … and that would be none other than the “Agent of Reason” known as “Id4joey” ! I mean seriously man, how in the “bloody hell” can you guys fall for this crap so easily ? Of course we’re going to have a season and of course it’s going to start shortly ! The only problem however, is that when it does start, man do we LA Kings ever have a little surprise in store for you people ! :)

• phillyphanatic77 - Oct 24, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Didn’t 04-05 prove to you that the owners are willing to do whatever it takes to get whatever they want? What puts you in the know and makes your speculation any more credible than anyone else’s on PHT? All along the owners, through Bettman, have been complaining about the rising costs of their expenses during the season, so doesn’t it make sense that they might not care about losing revenue for one season (since most are already losing money when their teams play) to decrease their expenses exponentially over the life of the next CBA? They all take for granted the support of the fans anyway. They know the majority of us, despite what we may say, will come crawling back no matter how poorly they treat us. IMO Bettman and the owners are taking a calculated risk that they will break the union one more time and get everything they want, even if it alienates a large percentage of the fanbase. And if they don’t get it now, they’ll get it after locking out another season. They will sacrifice money now for more later. These are successful businessmen after all. I hate it but I believe that’s their mindset. One thing I don’t get about what Daly said though … didn’t the Union make three counter proposals already to the leagues last offer? So isn’t there plenty to talk about like finding some sort of middle ground between their latest offers. But, as I already said, I don’t think they’re looking for middle ground.

• id4joey - Oct 24, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Let us take a step back and look at the 04-05 season and ask ourselves why it was lost. Back then if you recall, this being before the rule changes initiatied by Shanahan and friends, the game was broken. This beautiful game of ours became nothing more than a game of clutch and grab. This had tarnished the game, and it became more difficult to increase the fan base across North America, which of course meant loss of HRR and profits. Fans were walking away from the game. The game was broken on the ice and economically. The economic landscaped had changed and because of that players and owners could not play under the same set of rules. I said this more than once, and will say it again. 240 players never played another game in the NHL after the lockout. JR provided how much money he lost. The players will not go through this again. Now, since the last lockout the NHL has been reporting record numbers, and the game is again very appealing. It is much faster and entertaining than it has ever been. Since then we have seen parity in the league, Stanley Cup champions in So Cal. Southern California born kids drafted by the local team. The CBA signed in 05 was designed for the economic landscape at that time. And now needs to be modified for the current economic landscape, and of course to fix some other issues Both sides know this. Now it’s a matter of minimizing what either side will give up without loosing face.

• phillyphanatic77 - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I understand the game needed to be totally revamped in 04-05 and now it’s about dividing up record revenue but that’s what worries me. In the last lockout they needed a way to control costs across the board and they got the players to take a 24% pay decrease and agree to the implementation of the salary cap. Not only that but the rules were revised to create a more exciting product. Right now however this lockout is not about benefiting the game, but rather benefiting those who finance and play the game. It can be agreed that 57% is unfair and that a 50/50 split would benefit all parties involved. Unfortunately we have basically reached a point where 50/50 has basically been agreed upon but it’s not enough for the owners. They want their make whole clause, where they only have to fully pay the contracts they just handed out for 2 years and after that there will essentially be clawbacks. They want an increase in ELC and the years needed to become an UFA. If Bettman wants his southern experiment to live on he will have to acknowledge some sort of revenue sharing or soft cap, but he’s flat out said no. A 7% increase in owners share of HRR will not save the struggling teams, and if you think it will then you’re fooling yourself and we’ll go through another lengthy lockout again in six years because of it. That is where I worry, because this is not all for the good of the league. If it was Bettman would want to do anything to save his expansion teams. Just like the players are out to protect their contracts, the owners are also out for number one. And that is why I believe the owners will not simply agree to some 50/50 split and everything will be fixed, no they want their demands met across the board and that’s why 04-05 is a template they want to follow, eventhough the game is in a different place.

• id4joey - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I wrote that in 04-05 there were 2 issues to resolve. Two issues that needed to be fixed. 1) economics 2) product We agree that this time it’s about economics, and not about the product. There are loopholes in the latest CBA which healthier teams exploited at the detriment of the small market teams. So, these loopholes and the ever changing economic landscape have to be addressed. Otherwise, CBAs would be infinite contracts. I think we can all agree that the economy has changed since 2004-05, so the CBA also has to change.

• tatdue - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM

phillyphanatic77- I’m glad there are other people that pay attention on this site. I agree with pretty much everything that you have wrote on this article…I hate to say it but personally I think that if there aren’t any opposing owners putting any pressure on Buttman to end this bs, I think we are in for long wait to see any NHL action…..

• phillyphanatic77 - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Id4joey, it seems like we agree on the basic outline of why the lockout is happening but I just can’t get on board with you and blomfield and your, frankly’, crazy notion that Bettman and the owners are purposefully locking the league out until November in a secret effort to move the regular season to November thru July. Which in your opinion would benefit the sunbelt teams. Don’t you think if that was the case the owners would just propose it, or if not maybe ONE inside source would simply report on the idea? So far you two are the only people I’ve seen on any hockey site to mention this conspiracy. Like I mentioned already I believe the owners are holding out, and will continue all season if need be, simply to reshape the hockey world to fit their needs. It makes no sense to me that the owners would, like Tatdue says below, bring the league from an all time high in popularity to the brink of alienating all fans simply to change the schedule.

• id4joey - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Blomfeld, yep. We’re on the same page friend.

• tatdue - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM

The only reason id4joey sees things the way that you do is because id4joey is you! Nobody believes in your “operation fake lock out” bs. The NHL is not going to alienate its players, piss off and possibly lose fans, de-value their franchises and renege on lucrative TV deals, not to mention blowing all the momentum that they have built the last seven years just because some of the teams lose or don’t make much during the first month of the season. They (the NHL) would simply shorten the season permanently. That said the NHL is pressured to start the season by U.S. Thanksgiving because of the new two billion dollar NBC TV contract (not your “operation fake lock out” bs)….the first game that they would be broadcasting would be the Boston game thanksgiving weekend.

• id4joey - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM

tatdue, get the facts before you make any sort of assertions. id4joey is associated to my personal email, and I am NOT blomfeld, or anybody else on PHT. I’m not an imposter, and I do exist as Joey. I am in no way associated with anyone on this site, or any other organization that would benefit from this conflict one way or another except for going back to dissecting NHL games.

Yes! I do agree with blomfeld in that there will be a season and it will likely start in Nov. I do believe the NHL has a plan to achieve its objectives. Do I believe in conspiracies? Yes! Do I believe the the US govt turned a blind eye to the importation of cocaine in LA to benefit their political agenda in Nicaragua? Yes! Do I believe the govt was behind the financial collapse in 2008? Yes! Do I believe this lockout was born from a conspiracy? No! And I’m not sure blomfeld believes that either. I think blomfeld likes to get under people’s skin. He likes to stir the pot. Odd? Yes!

I have my own opinions based on information, trends and analyzing behavior. Am I always right? Hell! No!

So, based on your observation, anyone who agrees with a fellow blogger must be the same person. In other words, there are 2 users here. One that spews curse words and writes disrespectful blogs attacking the character of individuals and one that offers objective opinions. Well! I have this far and will remain the latter mentioned.

Signed, Joey aka id4joey

• blomfeld - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Dearest Tattoo …

It’s interesting to note how on the one hand you’re so quick to discount my belief that this is a contrived “6 week” delay to the start of the season since that would among other things … “alienate its players, piss off and possibly lose fans, de-value their franchises and renege on lucrative TV deals, etc” … yet on the other hand you contend that despite all those risks, the owners are actually serious about not just blowing off 6 weeks, but the entire season ! In all seriousness, doesn’t that make your argument just a little bit hypocritical ? You also contend that the NBC TV contract will compel the parties to resolve their differences here in short order ? Well you get no argument from me on that. Yet doesn’t that “dove-tail” perfectly with my belief that this is “contrived” impasse ? … of course it does.

In going forward over the coming years, rather than shortening the season, what I do see coming is a determined effort to push the entire schedule forward from perhaps November through to July. Canadian markets don’t care as we “need” our NHL fix here regardless ! … and for the majority of US teams, especially those in the sunbelt, again it would make little difference … in Miami, Phoenix or LA, the sun shines in November just like it does in May.
        Regardless, we’re going to see what the “real deal” is here soon enough. And as I’ve said many times already here, I don’t profess to have a crystal ball. Rather, I always go with what my heart says, not with what my eyes may see or what my ears may hear.

ps: As for Id4joey being me ? … you likely mean well pal and so I’ll just take that as a compliment :)

• tatdue - Oct 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM

@id4joey and @blonfeld – Joey if you like conspiracy theories so much then you should apreciate mine no? Anyways maybe you are not the same person and I’ll just have to take your word on the subject but you have to admit there’s probably more proof in my theory than yours. Other than the fact that you two are the only people that believe in this theory, you two have developed a very similar writing style, maybe simply because you two exchange comments a lot. Also it’s kinda weird how blonfeld jumped on (threatened) stakex for putting up an argument against you to start the comments on this page (if you are not the same person then that one is actually kind of creepy!) – @blonfeld – How does me thinking that the owners might be willing to lose the season or the fact that I stated that there is some pressure to start the season for the NBC contract make me a hypocrite? Do you know the meaning of the word? I think this is all about greed and you think this is all just a ruse to not play the first month of the season every six or so years….big difference. I will give you some credit though blonfeld it was nice to see a response without the usual trash talk and you even almost got my name right….thank you. :)

• id4joey - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM

tatdue, I never wrote that I like conspiracies, and I don’t believe in the assertions that the impasse is a conspiracy. Read my post. Only blomfeld can answer why he pounced on stakex.

BTW, I too have negatively jumped on bloofeld’s comments. Go back in older posts if you are so inclined. But, over time I came to understand his style. I think I can tell when he s yanking our chains and when he’s not. And yes, its always nice to get a response from blomfeld without thrash talk, but its also nice when he shares his humor. Makes for a good laugh.

• blomfeld - Oct 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

“let us reply to this man with our guns lowered” …

Tatdue – Allow me to preface by saying that “good times” must always be the order of the day here at PHT ! … or at least in my opinion. My basic rule is to “never” seriously attack a fellow commenter with hurtful or mean-spirited remarks. Making fun of Fehr or Ovechkin is fine, as they simply don’t read this … and they’re big, tough, wealthy people anyway. But “never” should we seriously attempt to injure each other, as we are “real” people who do read and contribute to this site. Now I’ve admittedly failed in that capacity a number of times, but I would submit that that’s been a case of me “returning fire” more than anything. Still it’s wrong and I apologize for anything negative that I may have directed your way. As for “back off Stakex, seriously” ? … come on man, surely you know the cool movie “Point Break” with Patrick Swayze ? … that had to have been one of the funniest lines ever ! :)

Now with the lockout business, yes a part of my writings involve some “chain pulling” as Id4joey notes (ie: one of my other multiple personalities :) ) as that’s a basic method for drawing attention in both oral and written communication. Yet I am sincere in my belief that a lockout was the plan all along. Of course I’m just speculating when I say that a deal is already drawn up with a fixed “magical” start date already marked on the calendar. That’s just what I instinctively feel, yet I have no proof. Maybe this is actually real and maybe hockey is actually screwed as everyone says ? It is possible … and yet I maintain that something “stinks” about this whole business ! Your NBC TV contract angle is very much a valid consideration, which by the way dove tails perfectly with my suggestion that “all may not be above board” here ? Also note that I do not believe it’s Bettman’s plan to have a delay like this every six years. What I see rather, is the current CBA’s expiration perhaps providing him with the perfect opportunity to advance whatever agenda it is that he’s trying to advance here ? The bottom line is that something tells me that this delay was the objective from day one, for whatever reason. And yet something is also telling me that the objective is to resume play before long. I guess we’ll see soon enough now, one way or the other …

Anyway, there you have it friend “straight up” from Blomfeld ! … you don’t mind if I call you “friend” do you ? And since I’m in such a good mood today because I’m off shortly to the golf course, I’m going to offer you the following excellent video, which is one of my absolute personal favorites ! :)

• blomfeld - Oct 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Id4joey – thanks for your kind words … and a big collective thanks from “all” the people for the friendly and decent manner in which you engage in discussion here at PHT … good show ! … jolly good show old chap ! :)

Now I know that while we agree this lockout will end shortly, we nonetheless differ in that I maintain something is likely not above board here ? … while I see you taking a higher road by suggesting that a resolution will be had through “good faith” bargaining ? Well we’re going to see now pretty soon. Nonetheless, I will have you know that much of my reasoning is based on nothing more than instinct. Some years ago, I learned that I’m a so-called HSP or “highly sensitive person”. At first I was alarmed, as I didn’t want to be a freak or anything ! .. but then it was explained to me. It turns out that we people are “cattle” after all, as apparently we HSP’s are like the advance guards or scouts for the human herd. We have an innate ability to sense and predict that which lies ahead and is not apparent to the herd proper. While we supposedly number less than 10% of the population, it’s said that HSP’s are to be found in all species and life forms, be that birds, cows, fish, horses, etc. I went to a series of weekend HSP workshops here (ie: mostly to try and meet chicks) and it was actually quite interesting and eye-opening. Anyway, there you have it, the unabashed basis for my radical and unorthodox thinking ! :)

9. sjsharks66 - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Take the foil hats off? You don’t think Nashville and Minnesota are trying hard to cut back contracts while most other owners don’t really care? Unlike those 2, the other owners make smart decisions. Now I understand that weber was given an offer sheet from Philly, so I guess we can blame them for this problem also.

• kellyb9 - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Yeah… you had me up until blaming Philly for Nashville’s poor decision to pay a player more than they could afford. Either way, if a few of these teams go under or (better yet) relocate because of a few poor decisions, Philly is doing the league a favor.

10. turtlematt18 - Oct 24, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Just get a deal done. Plain and simple. Both sides are worse than a bunch of little kids. Come on.

11. braddavery - Oct 24, 2012 at 3:57 AM

“Assholes request meeting with assholes; Asshole: “Not sure what we assholes would be meeting about”

12. fortwaynekomets - Oct 24, 2012 at 5:32 AM

another lost season would be the biggest mistake the NHL could ever make.

that would be the ultimate act of disrespect to everyone, the fans who pay 90% of their bills!

13. csilojohnson - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:23 AM

So many over paid a holes. I wish I could get away with taking so much time off work.

14. tfaltin - Oct 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM

The NHL should meet just on principle alone. Bettman and Daly, especially, are pretty much irrelevant every day that there is not a labor dispute. They make good paychecks, and this is the one situation where they can actually earn their money. Do either of them really have anything better to do? Are Wednesdays reserved for weekly shakedowns of the zamboni drivers and mascots? Nothing should be more important to anyone involved than getting the season going, and discounting a meeting one day before your own self-imposed deadline is unacceptable.

15. id4joey - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:09 AM

tfaltin, it the game of labor negotiations. Neither one is calling the shots. High priced labor lawyers acting as consultants are. Hang in there friend. Our drug (la nostra droga) will be back soon.

• tfaltin - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Is it that obvious I’m getting desperate?

• id4joey - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM

It is not obvious at all because there are many attributes to consider. I know for a fact that one of the Canadian based teams made 50 million dollars last year, and we all know how much money the players are making. NHL has reported record breaking revenues. As an owner, would you want to lose 50 million bucks for a few small market teams? I wouldn’t. GB hails from the NBA. It is safe to say he’s using the same script as David Stern used last year. These guys are buddies, so expect a resolution to come soon. I hope it will be soon enough to save the Winter Classic, and I say that from a business perspective. No matter how I look at the current scenario I just can’t see the whole season being cancelled. Lets just stay positive for now.

16. pistolpete31 - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Hmmm maybe they want to talk about this thing going on….I think its called a lockout

17. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Oct 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Oh cool, good to know the owners are back to being the complete douchebags again. Felt weird siding with them and Bettman for those few days.

18. id4joey - Oct 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM