Oct 23, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr thinks it a bit odd that owners and general managers were allowed a 48-hour window to speak to players, and that the window just happened to open last week after the NHL tabled its optimism-inducing 50-50 offer.
“Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings,” Fehr said in a statement. “No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot.”
In reality, it’s not “interesting,” and Fehr knows it. It’s fairly obvious the owners and GMs were permitted to speak to players in hopes of convincing the players that the NHL’s offer was a good one.
“Propaganda” is what one player called it, as per TVA Sports.
But whether the league did anything wrong depends how you look at it. Some may call the move underhanded; others just an attempt to get a deal done.
Regardless, there’s still no word when the league and players will meet again, and with the league saying a deal needs to be struck by Thursday in order to allow an 82-game season, it’s an understatement to call time a factor.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 0
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 11
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 25
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles