Oct 23, 2012, 11:27 AM EST
NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr thinks it a bit odd that owners and general managers were allowed a 48-hour window to speak to players, and that the window just happened to open last week after the NHL tabled its optimism-inducing 50-50 offer.
“Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings,” Fehr said in a statement. “No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot.”
In reality, it’s not “interesting,” and Fehr knows it. It’s fairly obvious the owners and GMs were permitted to speak to players in hopes of convincing the players that the NHL’s offer was a good one.
“Propaganda” is what one player called it, as per TVA Sports.
But whether the league did anything wrong depends how you look at it. Some may call the move underhanded; others just an attempt to get a deal done.
Regardless, there’s still no word when the league and players will meet again, and with the league saying a deal needs to be struck by Thursday in order to allow an 82-game season, it’s an understatement to call time a factor.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)