Oct 23, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
The window was clearly an attempt by the league to convince players that the offer was a good one. But until now, we didn’t know any specifics.
According to an ESPNNewYork.com source, the league sent a legal memo to owners and GMs outlining what could and couldn’t be discussed.
In the memo, the league strictly prohibits its general managers from negotiating with players, making coercive statements, undermining the NHLPA or soliciting feedback on “their sentiment about collective bargaining matters,” a source that received the document told ESPNNewYork.com.
It does allow, however, for general managers to answer certain inquiries from players.
According to the source, the memo includes a sample question-and-answer portion that gives executives suggestions on how to answer questions such as — “What do you think we should do?,” “What happens if the union doesn’t accept this proposal?” and “Why did the league take so long to make this offer?”
Sounds like a scene from Boiler Room.
Even if the 48-hour window was opened with the genuine goal of striking a deal, the move has the potential to backfire for the NHL.
NHLPA leaders clearly feel the league went behind the union’s back in this case, and that probably won’t alleviate the trust issues many players have with the owners.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)