Oct 23, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
The window was clearly an attempt by the league to convince players that the offer was a good one. But until now, we didn’t know any specifics.
According to an ESPNNewYork.com source, the league sent a legal memo to owners and GMs outlining what could and couldn’t be discussed.
In the memo, the league strictly prohibits its general managers from negotiating with players, making coercive statements, undermining the NHLPA or soliciting feedback on “their sentiment about collective bargaining matters,” a source that received the document told ESPNNewYork.com.
It does allow, however, for general managers to answer certain inquiries from players.
According to the source, the memo includes a sample question-and-answer portion that gives executives suggestions on how to answer questions such as — “What do you think we should do?,” “What happens if the union doesn’t accept this proposal?” and “Why did the league take so long to make this offer?”
Sounds like a scene from Boiler Room.
Even if the 48-hour window was opened with the genuine goal of striking a deal, the move has the potential to backfire for the NHL.
NHLPA leaders clearly feel the league went behind the union’s back in this case, and that probably won’t alleviate the trust issues many players have with the owners.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)