Oct 23, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Patrick Kane is off to Switzerland.
That’s the news out of Chicago on Tuesday as the ‘Hawks star has agreed to join Swiss league team EHC Biel on a lockout deal.
The signing comes at a peculiar time. Last week, Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times he was holding off on signing overseas to “see what happens with the [CBA] negotiations.”
The 23-year-old was hopeful the NHL and NHLPA would come to an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement, but appears to have done an about-face in light of stalled talks.
With Kane and Seguin in the lineup, Biel will rival other Swiss league clubs boasting dynamic (and locked-out) NHL duos — most notably HC Davos, currently employing San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton and New York Rangers winger Rick Nash.
UPDATE: Kane’s also announced the signing via Twitter…
Excited and thankful to join EHC Biel in the Swiss league. Looking forward to the experience
— Patrick Kane (@88PKane) October 23, 2012
Of note, Kane is the fifth ‘Hawk to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Bryan Bickell (Austria), Michael Frolik (Czech Extraliga), Viktor Stalberg (Swedish Elite League) and Michal Roszival (Czech Extraliga).
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)