Oct 23, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Patrick Kane is off to Switzerland.
That’s the news out of Chicago on Tuesday as the ‘Hawks star has agreed to join Swiss league team EHC Biel on a lockout deal.
The signing comes at a peculiar time. Last week, Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times he was holding off on signing overseas to “see what happens with the [CBA] negotiations.”
The 23-year-old was hopeful the NHL and NHLPA would come to an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement, but appears to have done an about-face in light of stalled talks.
With Kane and Seguin in the lineup, Biel will rival other Swiss league clubs boasting dynamic (and locked-out) NHL duos — most notably HC Davos, currently employing San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton and New York Rangers winger Rick Nash.
UPDATE: Kane’s also announced the signing via Twitter…
Excited and thankful to join EHC Biel in the Swiss league. Looking forward to the experience
— Patrick Kane (@88PKane) October 23, 2012
Of note, Kane is the fifth ‘Hawk to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Bryan Bickell (Austria), Michael Frolik (Czech Extraliga), Viktor Stalberg (Swedish Elite League) and Michal Roszival (Czech Extraliga).
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 33
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)