Oct 23, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Patrick Kane is off to Switzerland.
That’s the news out of Chicago on Tuesday as the ‘Hawks star has agreed to join Swiss league team EHC Biel on a lockout deal.
The signing comes at a peculiar time. Last week, Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times he was holding off on signing overseas to “see what happens with the [CBA] negotiations.”
The 23-year-old was hopeful the NHL and NHLPA would come to an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement, but appears to have done an about-face in light of stalled talks.
With Kane and Seguin in the lineup, Biel will rival other Swiss league clubs boasting dynamic (and locked-out) NHL duos — most notably HC Davos, currently employing San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton and New York Rangers winger Rick Nash.
UPDATE: Kane’s also announced the signing via Twitter…
Excited and thankful to join EHC Biel in the Swiss league. Looking forward to the experience
— Patrick Kane (@88PKane) October 23, 2012
Of note, Kane is the fifth ‘Hawk to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Bryan Bickell (Austria), Michael Frolik (Czech Extraliga), Viktor Stalberg (Swedish Elite League) and Michal Roszival (Czech Extraliga).
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 41
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 17
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 16
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 96
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead