Oct 23, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Patrick Kane is off to Switzerland.
That’s the news out of Chicago on Tuesday as the ‘Hawks star has agreed to join Swiss league team EHC Biel on a lockout deal.
The signing comes at a peculiar time. Last week, Kane told the Chicago Sun-Times he was holding off on signing overseas to “see what happens with the [CBA] negotiations.”
The 23-year-old was hopeful the NHL and NHLPA would come to an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement, but appears to have done an about-face in light of stalled talks.
With Kane and Seguin in the lineup, Biel will rival other Swiss league clubs boasting dynamic (and locked-out) NHL duos — most notably HC Davos, currently employing San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton and New York Rangers winger Rick Nash.
UPDATE: Kane’s also announced the signing via Twitter…
Excited and thankful to join EHC Biel in the Swiss league. Looking forward to the experience
— Patrick Kane (@88PKane) October 23, 2012
Of note, Kane is the fifth ‘Hawk to sign overseas during the lockout, joining Bryan Bickell (Austria), Michael Frolik (Czech Extraliga), Viktor Stalberg (Swedish Elite League) and Michal Roszival (Czech Extraliga).
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)