Oct 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
While he’s unable to keep tabs on a number of his locked-out players, Paul Holmgren is able to stay in touch with injured defenseman Andrej Meszaros.
And for the Flyers GM, that’s a good thing.
Meszaros tore his Achilles tendon in August and has recently been rehabbing at the Flyers’ Skate Zone. That’s allowed Holmgren to monitor the 27-year-old defenseman’s progression from an injury that can take up to eight months to heal.
“I would say Meszaros is on schedule,” Holmgren told CSN Philadelphia.“He’s coming along good. He’s using his leg. Let’s put it this way: He’s out of his [walking] boot and doing rehab.”
The Flyers are hoping Meszaros’ rehab mirrors what ex-Flyers forward Justin Williams accomplished with Carolina in 2008 — Williams tore his Achilles in Sept and missed just 11 weeks of action, returning to the ‘Canes lineup in the first week of December.
Holmgren said a similar return date for Meszaros — December, that is — is definitely in play.
“I would not think that would be out of the question,” he said.
Without those three, Philly is looking at a top-six blueline of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais and one of Erik Gustafsson/Marc-Andre Bourdon/Brandon Manning.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 47
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control