Oct 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
While he’s unable to keep tabs on a number of his locked-out players, Paul Holmgren is able to stay in touch with injured defenseman Andrej Meszaros.
And for the Flyers GM, that’s a good thing.
Meszaros tore his Achilles tendon in August and has recently been rehabbing at the Flyers’ Skate Zone. That’s allowed Holmgren to monitor the 27-year-old defenseman’s progression from an injury that can take up to eight months to heal.
“I would say Meszaros is on schedule,” Holmgren told CSN Philadelphia.“He’s coming along good. He’s using his leg. Let’s put it this way: He’s out of his [walking] boot and doing rehab.”
The Flyers are hoping Meszaros’ rehab mirrors what ex-Flyers forward Justin Williams accomplished with Carolina in 2008 — Williams tore his Achilles in Sept and missed just 11 weeks of action, returning to the ‘Canes lineup in the first week of December.
Holmgren said a similar return date for Meszaros — December, that is — is definitely in play.
“I would not think that would be out of the question,” he said.
Without those three, Philly is looking at a top-six blueline of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais and one of Erik Gustafsson/Marc-Andre Bourdon/Brandon Manning.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 15
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)