Oct 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
While he’s unable to keep tabs on a number of his locked-out players, Paul Holmgren is able to stay in touch with injured defenseman Andrej Meszaros.
And for the Flyers GM, that’s a good thing.
Meszaros tore his Achilles tendon in August and has recently been rehabbing at the Flyers’ Skate Zone. That’s allowed Holmgren to monitor the 27-year-old defenseman’s progression from an injury that can take up to eight months to heal.
“I would say Meszaros is on schedule,” Holmgren told CSN Philadelphia.“He’s coming along good. He’s using his leg. Let’s put it this way: He’s out of his [walking] boot and doing rehab.”
The Flyers are hoping Meszaros’ rehab mirrors what ex-Flyers forward Justin Williams accomplished with Carolina in 2008 — Williams tore his Achilles in Sept and missed just 11 weeks of action, returning to the ‘Canes lineup in the first week of December.
Holmgren said a similar return date for Meszaros — December, that is — is definitely in play.
“I would not think that would be out of the question,” he said.
Without those three, Philly is looking at a top-six blueline of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais and one of Erik Gustafsson/Marc-Andre Bourdon/Brandon Manning.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)