Oct 23, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
While he’s unable to keep tabs on a number of his locked-out players, Paul Holmgren is able to stay in touch with injured defenseman Andrej Meszaros.
And for the Flyers GM, that’s a good thing.
Meszaros tore his Achilles tendon in August and has recently been rehabbing at the Flyers’ Skate Zone. That’s allowed Holmgren to monitor the 27-year-old defenseman’s progression from an injury that can take up to eight months to heal.
“I would say Meszaros is on schedule,” Holmgren told CSN Philadelphia.“He’s coming along good. He’s using his leg. Let’s put it this way: He’s out of his [walking] boot and doing rehab.”
The Flyers are hoping Meszaros’ rehab mirrors what ex-Flyers forward Justin Williams accomplished with Carolina in 2008 — Williams tore his Achilles in Sept and missed just 11 weeks of action, returning to the ‘Canes lineup in the first week of December.
Holmgren said a similar return date for Meszaros — December, that is — is definitely in play.
“I would not think that would be out of the question,” he said.
Without those three, Philly is looking at a top-six blueline of Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Luke Schenn, Nicklas Grossmann, Bruno Gervais and one of Erik Gustafsson/Marc-Andre Bourdon/Brandon Manning.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)