Oct 23, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
Sportsnet’s John Shannon got everyone excited this week talking about how Toronto will swing a deal for Roberto Luongo once the lockout ends. While Canucks GM Mike Gillis shot that down, the speculation remains news to some people.
One such person is Luongo’s agent, Gilles Lupien.
Lupien told 1130 AM radio out of Vancouver that he’s heard nothing at all about the Maple Leafs acquiring Luongo and he hasn’t spoken with Gillis since June. He also adds that he hasn’t been asked if Luongo would even accept a trade to Toronto.
Obviously a lot of that has to do with the lockout being in place since September 15. Teams aren’t allowed to swing deals during the work stoppage.
Add to that Cory Schneider‘s contract extension and the looming changes to the CBA after the lockout, teams interested in Luongo wanted to be sure the new rules wouldn’t bury them with his bad contract. Regardless of all that, expect the same suitors (Toronto, Florida, Chicago) to still be interested in him once the lockout is over.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)