Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
EC Red Bull Salzburg — one of the major players in the Austrian Hockey League — added some star power on Monday by agreeing to a lockout deal with Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
According to the team website, Salzburg has signed Entrstrom to a contract that runs through the Austrian league season with an NHL exit clause.
(In case, you know, the lockout ever ends.)
“We’re trying to bring good international players with passion and dreams to Salzburg,” head coach Pierre Page told Redbull.com. “Tobias is a prime example.”
Page isn’t kidding about bringing in international players.
The club already has a slew of ex-NHLers on the roster — Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk, Steve Regier, Justin DiBenedetto — and were equally aggressive during the last work stoppage, signing Marty Reasoner, Eric Chouinard and Jay Pandolfo for the 2004-05 campaign.
Salzburg has been a dominant force in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga as of late, winning four league titles since 2007.
As for Enstrom….
The 27-year old Swedish blueliner — who struck it rich in July, agreeing to a five-year, $28.75 million extension — becomes the fifth Jet to head overseas during the lockout.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)