Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
EC Red Bull Salzburg — one of the major players in the Austrian Hockey League — added some star power on Monday by agreeing to a lockout deal with Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
According to the team website, Salzburg has signed Entrstrom to a contract that runs through the Austrian league season with an NHL exit clause.
(In case, you know, the lockout ever ends.)
“We’re trying to bring good international players with passion and dreams to Salzburg,” head coach Pierre Page told Redbull.com. “Tobias is a prime example.”
Page isn’t kidding about bringing in international players.
The club already has a slew of ex-NHLers on the roster — Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk, Steve Regier, Justin DiBenedetto — and were equally aggressive during the last work stoppage, signing Marty Reasoner, Eric Chouinard and Jay Pandolfo for the 2004-05 campaign.
Salzburg has been a dominant force in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga as of late, winning four league titles since 2007.
As for Enstrom….
The 27-year old Swedish blueliner — who struck it rich in July, agreeing to a five-year, $28.75 million extension — becomes the fifth Jet to head overseas during the lockout.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 2
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 13
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)