Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
EC Red Bull Salzburg — one of the major players in the Austrian Hockey League — added some star power on Monday by agreeing to a lockout deal with Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
According to the team website, Salzburg has signed Entrstrom to a contract that runs through the Austrian league season with an NHL exit clause.
(In case, you know, the lockout ever ends.)
“We’re trying to bring good international players with passion and dreams to Salzburg,” head coach Pierre Page told Redbull.com. “Tobias is a prime example.”
Page isn’t kidding about bringing in international players.
The club already has a slew of ex-NHLers on the roster — Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk, Steve Regier, Justin DiBenedetto — and were equally aggressive during the last work stoppage, signing Marty Reasoner, Eric Chouinard and Jay Pandolfo for the 2004-05 campaign.
Salzburg has been a dominant force in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga as of late, winning four league titles since 2007.
As for Enstrom….
The 27-year old Swedish blueliner — who struck it rich in July, agreeing to a five-year, $28.75 million extension — becomes the fifth Jet to head overseas during the lockout.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights