Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
EC Red Bull Salzburg — one of the major players in the Austrian Hockey League — added some star power on Monday by agreeing to a lockout deal with Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
According to the team website, Salzburg has signed Entrstrom to a contract that runs through the Austrian league season with an NHL exit clause.
(In case, you know, the lockout ever ends.)
“We’re trying to bring good international players with passion and dreams to Salzburg,” head coach Pierre Page told Redbull.com. “Tobias is a prime example.”
Page isn’t kidding about bringing in international players.
The club already has a slew of ex-NHLers on the roster — Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk, Steve Regier, Justin DiBenedetto — and were equally aggressive during the last work stoppage, signing Marty Reasoner, Eric Chouinard and Jay Pandolfo for the 2004-05 campaign.
Salzburg has been a dominant force in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga as of late, winning four league titles since 2007.
As for Enstrom….
The 27-year old Swedish blueliner — who struck it rich in July, agreeing to a five-year, $28.75 million extension — becomes the fifth Jet to head overseas during the lockout.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)