Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
EC Red Bull Salzburg — one of the major players in the Austrian Hockey League — added some star power on Monday by agreeing to a lockout deal with Winnipeg Jets defenseman Tobias Enstrom.
According to the team website, Salzburg has signed Entrstrom to a contract that runs through the Austrian league season with an NHL exit clause.
(In case, you know, the lockout ever ends.)
“We’re trying to bring good international players with passion and dreams to Salzburg,” head coach Pierre Page told Redbull.com. “Tobias is a prime example.”
Page isn’t kidding about bringing in international players.
The club already has a slew of ex-NHLers on the roster — Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk, Steve Regier, Justin DiBenedetto — and were equally aggressive during the last work stoppage, signing Marty Reasoner, Eric Chouinard and Jay Pandolfo for the 2004-05 campaign.
Salzburg has been a dominant force in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga as of late, winning four league titles since 2007.
As for Enstrom….
The 27-year old Swedish blueliner — who struck it rich in July, agreeing to a five-year, $28.75 million extension — becomes the fifth Jet to head overseas during the lockout.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)