Oct 22, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu jumped abroad over the weekend, signing a lockout deal with Finnish club side TPS Turku.
According to Matias Strozyk of Jatkoaika and Elite Prospects, Koivu’s contract with TPS runs through the end of November, with an extension depending on the length of the NHL lockout.
Koivu’s move to Finland shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. He represented TPS at both the junior and senior levels before joining the Minnesota organization in 2004 and, along with brother Saku Koivu, now part-owns the club.
(Also included in the ownership group? Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff.)
It’s also worth noting Koivu’s father, Jukka, has been a longtime coach within the TPS organization.
As far as SM-liiga clubs go, Turku has a decent amount of NHL experience. Los Angeles Kings defenseman Alec Martinez signed with the club earlier in October, joining the likes of ex-Sharks goalie Antero Niittymaki, former Avalanche winger Brian Willsie and ex-Ottawa forward Corey Locke.
Koivu is now the second Minnesota player to sign in Europe during the lockout, joining Jared Spurgeon, who signed with Langnau of the Swiss National League A.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)