Oct 22, 2012, 10:48 AM EST
Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu jumped abroad over the weekend, signing a lockout deal with Finnish club side TPS Turku.
According to Matias Strozyk of Jatkoaika and Elite Prospects, Koivu’s contract with TPS runs through the end of November, with an extension depending on the length of the NHL lockout.
Koivu’s move to Finland shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. He represented TPS at both the junior and senior levels before joining the Minnesota organization in 2004 and, along with brother Saku Koivu, now part-owns the club.
(Also included in the ownership group? Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff.)
It’s also worth noting Koivu’s father, Jukka, has been a longtime coach within the TPS organization.
As far as SM-liiga clubs go, Turku has a decent amount of NHL experience. Los Angeles Kings defenseman Alec Martinez signed with the club earlier in October, joining the likes of ex-Sharks goalie Antero Niittymaki, former Avalanche winger Brian Willsie and ex-Ottawa forward Corey Locke.
Koivu is now the second Minnesota player to sign in Europe during the lockout, joining Jared Spurgeon, who signed with Langnau of the Swiss National League A.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)