Oct 22, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Minnesota Wild captain Mikko Koivu jumped abroad over the weekend, signing a lockout deal with Finnish club side TPS Turku.
According to Matias Strozyk of Jatkoaika and Elite Prospects, Koivu’s contract with TPS runs through the end of November, with an extension depending on the length of the NHL lockout.
Koivu’s move to Finland shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. He represented TPS at both the junior and senior levels before joining the Minnesota organization in 2004 and, along with brother Saku Koivu, now part-owns the club.
(Also included in the ownership group? Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff.)
It’s also worth noting Koivu’s father, Jukka, has been a longtime coach within the TPS organization.
As far as SM-liiga clubs go, Turku has a decent amount of NHL experience. Los Angeles Kings defenseman Alec Martinez signed with the club earlier in October, joining the likes of ex-Sharks goalie Antero Niittymaki, former Avalanche winger Brian Willsie and ex-Ottawa forward Corey Locke.
Koivu is now the second Minnesota player to sign in Europe during the lockout, joining Jared Spurgeon, who signed with Langnau of the Swiss National League A.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)