Oct 22, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Volchenkov’s agent, Jay Grossman, said his client broke “a small bone” near the arch of his foot and would be treated by Torpedo’s doctor and medical staff, rather than return to North America for treatment.
Grossman’s statement is slightly less ominous than original reports, which claimed Volchenkov suffered a fractured ankle and would miss 4-6 weeks. Grossman said it’s “not expected [Volchenkov] would miss that much time,” and that the return date is contingent upon the healing process.
Volchenkov only recently signed with Torpedo and appeared in just three games before getting hurt. Prior to that, he was skating with a number of Devils players in New Jersey.
His injury could become a very interesting saga, though largely dependent on severity and recovery time. Lockout rules state that if a player is injured while playing in another league during the lockout, an NHL club can suspend him without pay until he is fit to play.
There’s a chance Volchenkov’s foot will heal prior to the start of the NHL campaign, but there’s also a chance he’ll still be hurt when the season gets underway.
In the event of the latter, it’s possible the Devils — a financially troubled franchise — could exercise their “suspend without pay” right.
Volchenkov has a pretty hefty contract (six years, $25.5 million) and struggled mightily last year, averaging less than 18 minutes a game…a number that dropped to 16 during New Jersey’s Stanley Cup run.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal