Oct 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis has surpassed the 70-point mark for six straight seasons, but even with his abilities, taking a significant chunk of time off from hockey at his age could be problematic.
That’s especially true for a guy like St. Louis, who would rather finish on top than play until he can’t get another NHL contract.
When the subject of retirement comes up, the first thing St. Louis tells his wife “is I don’t want to fade away. I want to finish with a bang,” according to a Tampa Bay Times report.
He has a family and it would reportedly cost up to $70,000 a month to insure his NHL contract if he wants to play in Europe, so while he hasn’t ruled out the option, there are factors keeping him in Tampa Bay. However, unless he signs with a European club, he can’t do much more than than skate and practice until this lockout ends.
“It’s tough,” St. Louis said. “I know I can play a few more years in this league. I don’t feel I’m at the end of my rope. But obviously I have to make sure that I keep sharpening my skills, stay sharp with my training. I have to get on the ice somehow.”
St. Louis feels ready to go this season and he’s under contract through 2014-15. Still, he is concerned about what impact this lockout will have on what’s left of his career.
“I’ve always been a big part of the teams I’m on,” St. Louis said. “I want to go out that way.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)