Oct 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Martin St. Louis has surpassed the 70-point mark for six straight seasons, but even with his abilities, taking a significant chunk of time off from hockey at his age could be problematic.
That’s especially true for a guy like St. Louis, who would rather finish on top than play until he can’t get another NHL contract.
When the subject of retirement comes up, the first thing St. Louis tells his wife “is I don’t want to fade away. I want to finish with a bang,” according to a Tampa Bay Times report.
He has a family and it would reportedly cost up to $70,000 a month to insure his NHL contract if he wants to play in Europe, so while he hasn’t ruled out the option, there are factors keeping him in Tampa Bay. However, unless he signs with a European club, he can’t do much more than than skate and practice until this lockout ends.
“It’s tough,” St. Louis said. “I know I can play a few more years in this league. I don’t feel I’m at the end of my rope. But obviously I have to make sure that I keep sharpening my skills, stay sharp with my training. I have to get on the ice somehow.”
St. Louis feels ready to go this season and he’s under contract through 2014-15. Still, he is concerned about what impact this lockout will have on what’s left of his career.
“I’ve always been a big part of the teams I’m on,” St. Louis said. “I want to go out that way.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)