St. Louis worries lockout could hurt his career

Oct 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT

Martin St. Louis AP

Martin St. Louis has surpassed the 70-point mark for six straight seasons, but even with his abilities, taking a significant chunk of time off from hockey at his age could be problematic.

That’s especially true for a guy like St. Louis, who would rather finish on top than play until he can’t get another NHL contract.

When the subject of retirement comes up, the first thing St. Louis tells his wife “is I don’t want to fade away. I want to finish with a bang,” according to a Tampa Bay Times report.

He has a family and it would reportedly cost up to $70,000 a month to insure his NHL contract if he wants to play in Europe, so while he hasn’t ruled out the option, there are factors keeping him in Tampa Bay. However, unless he signs with a European club, he can’t do much more than than skate and practice until this lockout ends.

“It’s tough,” St. Louis said. “I know I can play a few more years in this league. I don’t feel I’m at the end of my rope. But obviously I have to make sure that I keep sharpening my skills, stay sharp with my training. I have to get on the ice somehow.”

St. Louis feels ready to go this season and he’s under contract through 2014-15. Still, he is concerned about what impact this lockout will have on what’s left of his career.

“I’ve always been a big part of the teams I’m on,” St. Louis said. “I want to go out that way.”

1. id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM

He has every right to be worried. The PA has to take care of him because he has been paying his union fees for a long time. PA, you’ve got to save the season for him and many others like him. And I believe they will. 240 players did NOT return to the NHL after the 04/05 lockout. Disgrace!

2. illadelphiasphinest - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

So go play in Europe! If he honestly felt like playing, he would be playing. Not sitting around with his wife n kids complaining about it. Seriously… These guys are starting to piss me off as much as the owners are.

• id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Remember, it is a lockout, not a strike. Players were forced to stay home. They were willing to start the season without the CBA.

• stakex - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

While I do agree that some players are starting to whine far too much, I can think of a lot of reasons an NHL player wouldn’t head to Europe… such as not wanting to take someone elses job, or not being that far from his family all season.

3. kitshky - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM

The worst thing about the lockup is that peoples comments just keep getting stupider and stupider …

• kitshky - Oct 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM

*lockout

(see what I mean!?)

• blomfeld - Oct 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

All the King’s horses and all the King’s men … ensure that Los Angeles will win again ! :)

I disagree Kitshky. If anything in fact, I’d say that this lockout has sent PHT into an entirely new “intellectual & thought-provoking” orbit. Look, instead of sitting here arguing about “head-shots” and “blown” calls, here we are discussing various advanced subjects like labor relations, economics, corporate finance, contract law, regulatory considerations, human resource management, etc. If anything therefore, I’d say that this lockout is serving to provide us all with an even better understanding of the game ! I’ve always believed in the notion that there’s a silver lining to be found with virtually everything in life, even if that involves a setback or an upset. It’s just up to us how we choose to look at things.

GO LOCKOUT !!!

though only for a couple of more weeks :)

• danphipps01 - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Words of advice: saying “Go lockout” won’t boost your fanclub population, friend.

4. id4joey - Oct 23, 2012 at 5:59 AM

danphipps01, haven’t seen you around here too much friend. Don’t mind blomfeld. He’s as passionate as they come. You’ll get used to his sense of humor.

5. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Oct 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Yeah, all if us Lightning fans are worried about the same thing.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches