Oct 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers and St. Louis Blues power forwards have left the Crimmitschau Ice Pirates and will join Czech Extraliga team HC Liberec, according to USA Today.
“Wayne and Chris wanted to stay together and Liberec was one of a handful of elite league teams that could add two players,” player agent Eustace King said. “At this point, the opportunity Liberec presented was one that we felt we needed to explore.”
Even though they’re leaving, Simmonds and Stewart enjoyed the Bundesliga experience. Simmonds led all scorers with 14 points in nine games (and became a YouTube sensation after fighting a guy named Ralf Rinke) and Stewart was tied for the team lead with five goals.
According to King, the pair also liked the Ice Pirates organization.
“The guys loved playing in Crimmitschau,” he explained. “The fans were one of the best they ever played in front of and the coach and management treated them first class.”
That said, the level of play in Germany was clearly inferior to what they’ll get with Liberec.
The team’s captain is ex-NHLer Petr Nedved and the team has been aggressive in adding locked-out players, having already secured the services of Winnipeg goalie Ondrej Pavelec and Edmonton defenseman Ladislav Smid.
Image courtesy eispiraten-crimmitschau.de
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 7
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 1
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 42
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 36
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 77
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech 14
- Report: NHL has Seattle plan ready for Coyotes 64
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP