Oct 22, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers and St. Louis Blues power forwards have left the Crimmitschau Ice Pirates and will join Czech Extraliga team HC Liberec, according to USA Today.
“Wayne and Chris wanted to stay together and Liberec was one of a handful of elite league teams that could add two players,” player agent Eustace King said. “At this point, the opportunity Liberec presented was one that we felt we needed to explore.”
Even though they’re leaving, Simmonds and Stewart enjoyed the Bundesliga experience. Simmonds led all scorers with 14 points in nine games (and became a YouTube sensation after fighting a guy named Ralf Rinke) and Stewart was tied for the team lead with five goals.
According to King, the pair also liked the Ice Pirates organization.
“The guys loved playing in Crimmitschau,” he explained. “The fans were one of the best they ever played in front of and the coach and management treated them first class.”
That said, the level of play in Germany was clearly inferior to what they’ll get with Liberec.
The team’s captain is ex-NHLer Petr Nedved and the team has been aggressive in adding locked-out players, having already secured the services of Winnipeg goalie Ondrej Pavelec and Edmonton defenseman Ladislav Smid.
Image courtesy eispiraten-crimmitschau.de
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)