Oct 22, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some great prospects in their system and Jakob Silfverberg is one of the best of them.
After dominating in the Swedish Elite League last season, he’s making the transition to North American hockey while playing for AHL Binghamton. If it wasn’t for the lockout, he might have started the season with Ottawa.
Given his Swedish roots, the comparisons to Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson aren’t surprising, but Senators director of player development Randy Lee sees a lot of similarities between the two beyond their nationality.
“Both very conscientious workers, not overly vocal guys, but lead by example in the way they practice and the way they compete in games,” Fox said. “They’re both very mature people. Compared to anybody else we have, (Silfverberg) is the guy that most exemplifies some of the attributes that Alfie possesses.”
Silfverberg scored 13 goals in SEL’s Brynas IF Gavle playoff run to break the record set by Alfredsson in 2005, when he rejoined the Swedish Elite League during the previous lockout.
Silfverberg is adjusting to the smaller North American rinks. Eventually the lockout will end and Silfverberg will get a chance to pick up where he left off when he joined Ottawa during the 2012 playoffs.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 1
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 22
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 8
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)