Oct 22, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some great prospects in their system and Jakob Silfverberg is one of the best of them.
After dominating in the Swedish Elite League last season, he’s making the transition to North American hockey while playing for AHL Binghamton. If it wasn’t for the lockout, he might have started the season with Ottawa.
Given his Swedish roots, the comparisons to Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson aren’t surprising, but Senators director of player development Randy Lee sees a lot of similarities between the two beyond their nationality.
“Both very conscientious workers, not overly vocal guys, but lead by example in the way they practice and the way they compete in games,” Fox said. “They’re both very mature people. Compared to anybody else we have, (Silfverberg) is the guy that most exemplifies some of the attributes that Alfie possesses.”
Silfverberg scored 13 goals in SEL’s Brynas IF Gavle playoff run to break the record set by Alfredsson in 2005, when he rejoined the Swedish Elite League during the previous lockout.
Silfverberg is adjusting to the smaller North American rinks. Eventually the lockout will end and Silfverberg will get a chance to pick up where he left off when he joined Ottawa during the 2012 playoffs.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)