Oct 22, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have some great prospects in their system and Jakob Silfverberg is one of the best of them.
After dominating in the Swedish Elite League last season, he’s making the transition to North American hockey while playing for AHL Binghamton. If it wasn’t for the lockout, he might have started the season with Ottawa.
Given his Swedish roots, the comparisons to Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson aren’t surprising, but Senators director of player development Randy Lee sees a lot of similarities between the two beyond their nationality.
“Both very conscientious workers, not overly vocal guys, but lead by example in the way they practice and the way they compete in games,” Fox said. “They’re both very mature people. Compared to anybody else we have, (Silfverberg) is the guy that most exemplifies some of the attributes that Alfie possesses.”
Silfverberg scored 13 goals in SEL’s Brynas IF Gavle playoff run to break the record set by Alfredsson in 2005, when he rejoined the Swedish Elite League during the previous lockout.
Silfverberg is adjusting to the smaller North American rinks. Eventually the lockout will end and Silfverberg will get a chance to pick up where he left off when he joined Ottawa during the 2012 playoffs.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (74)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)