Oct 22, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
For those that wondered how Justin Schultz would adjust to the pro game, it turns out pretty well. The Oklahoma City Barons defenseman has been named AHL Player of the Week after scoring three times, adding an assist and compiling a plus-six rating in two games for Edmonton’s minor-league affiliate.
“He’s a quick learner,” Barons head coach Todd Nelson said, as per CBC.ca. “In our exhibition games he got caught up ice a couple of times. I only had to explain to him once that if he does that he has to be the first guy to get back. He adjusted… Very high hockey IQ.”
Schultz signed with the Oilers this summer after an intense bidding war for his services. The 22-year-old was originally drafted by Anaheim in 2008. He became an unrestricted free agent after the Ducks were unable to sign him to a contract.
Schultz spent the last three seasons playing college hockey with the Wisconsin Badgers.
Image via TheAHL.com
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control