Oct 22, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Colin Greening has decided to boldly go where no NHLer has during the lockout:
Greening has agreed to join Aalborg of the AL-Bank Ligaen for the duration of the work stoppage, making him the first locked-out NHLer to join the top flight of Danish hockey.
Greening, 26, is coming off a successful sophomore campaign with Ottawa that saw him appear in all 82 contests, posting a career-high 37 points.
He finished fifth on the team in goals, with 17, and appeared in all seven of Ottawa’s opening-round playoff games against the Rangers, averaging just under 14 minutes per contest.
As for the AL-Bank Ligaen…
The highest rung of Denmark’s hockey ladder is comprised of nine teams, with Aalborg currently leading the standings.
It must be noted that one of the league’s major sponsors is Dong Energy, Denmark’s leading energy company. A more childish website would make a joke at the company’s expense, but we at PHT feel the name “Dong Energy” takes care of the comedy all by itself.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)