Oct 22, 2012, 8:09 PM EDT
Is Wayne Gretzky’s number sacred to you? In the NHL, no player can wear the No. 99, in honor of The Great One’s record-shattering career.
Sportsnet’s Luke Fox reported on the story and asked, “Could this be seen as another shot across the pond at the stagnant NHL?”
He also noted that Backstrom’s number with the Capitals, 19, was already taken and so was 91.
Ultimately, unless Backstrom states his intentions, we can only guess at his reasoning.
It does seem appropriate to add that, as ESPN once wrote, Gretzky originally wanted to wear No. 9 for his idol and another legend, Gordie Howe, when he was a member of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. The only reason he didn’t do it was because that number was already taken and eventually his coach suggested No. 99 as a compromise.
Wearing another player’s number can be a tribute or a sign of the type of player you look up to, but this is one story that might rub some people the wrong way even if Backstrom’s motivations truly are innocent.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (98)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)