Daly: Sides are talking but not negotiating; No meetings scheduled

Oct 22, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT

Gary Bettman; Bill Daly AP

After a weekend filled with no real updates on labor progress, we’re left to wonder what exactly the discourse is between the owners and players.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly tells the AP talks are continuing but not in a way the fans will get excited about.

“We had a conference call today to answer some of their questions,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press in an email Sunday. “No bargaining. And no bargaining meetings scheduled.”

Well that’s… Something at least. Considering all the tough talk that came out in the wake of the NHL’s outright rejection of the players’ associations three proposals, you’d be worried if all contact was cut off.

That’s not the case here, however, and many believe there’s a deal to be made out of all this, including NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr. This week will be a big one for negotiations if they’re to get a deal done in time to start the season on November 2 and play a full 82-game schedule.

1. tmoore4075 - Oct 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

How I wish I lived closer to an AHL city.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Lol, yeah. I thought I’d never say this but I wish I lived in Texas right now to watch hockey.

2. bruinsfan19 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Both sides should get locked in a room until they get a deal done

3. joeyashwi - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

It’s quite obvious that neither side wants a deal and doesn’t give a s*** about the fans. To not agree is one thing, to not even meet to negotiate is another. They should have started meeting right after the Stanley Cup Finals. Oh wait, the owners were too busy signing players to contracts that they had no intention at all of honoring and the players were signing these contracts with a pretty good idea that they weren’t going to be honored. What a waste of time and energy. Only one team has an owner who cares and that is the Senators. I wasn’t a Sens fan but I will be if the NHL still exists after all this.

• id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Joey, bro. There will be a deal soon. Have faith. There is way too much money to be lost for both sides to cancel the season.

• stratomaticfan - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Um…just like the last time they lost a full season? Why should now be any different?

• mpg44 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Don’t know how true this is but the rumor was the the NHL wanted to start negotiating during last season and it was the nhlpa that waited so long to start. Doesn’t matter since no matter what the truth actually is , the fans get screwed!!

• tmoore4075 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

It is true the NHL tried to start negotiating during the season but Fehr said he wanted more time since he hadn’t been on the job long. NHL wanted to start during the all star break, Fehr said no. Then it was they wanted to wait until after the season cause the players wanted to focus on the season/playoffs. Forget the fact that by the end of April, 22 of your 30 teams are done and by mid-May, 26 of your 30 teams are done, and you could at least have the big guys talk….but no. You can’t say you wanted the players to involved in all of it cause they aren’t when the big 4 meet. And you could have just had preliminary talks early to get this going but…no.

I think the owners are morons too but the NHLPA dragged their feet a lot.

4. dbarnes79 - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I don’t know who’s dumber. Bettman, Daly or the Fehr’s.

5. fortwaynekomets - Oct 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM

just bought my ECHL game pass! for the price of a couple NHL tickets, I can now watch EVERY single ECHL game both live and On Demand!!!

I’m seriously not caring about this NHL situation anymore… all I needed to do was get my hockey fix. Obviously I’m a huge Fort Wayne Komets fan… so the ECHL package is golden for me! I can watch games both on my comp and my phone, great quality too!

With the NHL out, you might be surprised how talented the guys in the ECHL and AHL really are!

• lostpuppysyndrome - Oct 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If the AHL would lower its online game prices, I’d be watching the Aeros and IceCaps. However, $7/game is outrageous.

6. manchestermiracle - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Talking but not negotiating? WTF? The single most important issue in the league’s inbox and these trolls are just “talking?” What the hell about, where the next great suit sale is at? Who’s got a discount on mimosas at brunch?

Nero fiddled while Rome burned, but he’s got nothing on these dysfunctional dildos. They obviously paid close attention to the “negotiators” in the Korean war who spent months deciding on the shape of the conference table while soldiers and civilians died by the thousands. No, labor strife in the NHL isn’t comparable to war, but the purposeful dithering and obfuscation (look it up yourself) are quite similar.

7. fortwaynekomets - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM

where is my comment?

8. joeyashwi - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

id4joey- I hope you’re right. I’m just frustrated. I love the game of hockey and am just disappointed to see it being ruined by idiots on both sides.

9. id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I hope I’m right too, bro. I miss the game. I have a could feeling about this.

10. redwingsfan999 - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Why does it have to be so long, why can’t they just all meet up with each other one day and not leave till they make one

11. id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Well! As much as I hate to admit it, there is a predefined process associated with labor negotiations that must be followed. A very lengthily one at that. It’s the only way either side can get as much as possible and giving up as little as possible. Like a divorce settlement. It’s a game.

12. thesublimeylimey - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’m all for the players digging in their heels and cancelling the season. The NHL has become far too much of a business and this sort of practice is going on everywhere and disputes like this put a rain cloud over the entire season.

Business knows, not just thinks, but knows it can literally hold it’s employees to ransom. They use the threat of redundancy, and an ailing job market to make people agree to things they dont want to. In this case the NHL seems happy to paint the players as the “greedy overpaid egotists” which is completely untrue in most cases (notice my disclaimer, “most”).

I for one completely support the players. Whether you’re paid £16k a year, or $6m a year is immaterial. Both parties agreed to these contracts, and as far as I can see only the players are willing to honour it.

I’m just utterly baffled as to why Gary Bettman still has a job, and why your Federal Government has called in mediation.

• id4joey - Oct 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM

the NHL is no more a business than the NBA, MLS, NFL, PGA, MLB etc… people invest and expect a return on their investment. No different than buying stocks. Athletes investe time and money in fine tuning their skills, and they expect a return on their investment. Same thing for anyone investing in a college education.

13. csilojohnson - Oct 23, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I got out of bed this morning but I’m not going to work. Oh crap I can’t get away with that. I work for a living. Darn!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches