Oct 22, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
If the NHL and NHLPA were somehow able to reach a new CBA in time to start the season on Nov. 2, Jason Garrison would be ready to go.
The Canucks’ new $27.6 million defenseman has been struggling with a mysterious groin injury this offseason (though it hasn’t stopped him from making new friends in the city), but after skating today in Vancouver, he expressed his readiness for Nov. 2.
“That’s what I’m planning for,” said Garrison (via The Province’s Ben Kuzma). “I’m using this time to make sure [the groin injury] doesn’t come back.”
The 27-year-old also said that groin issues have been ongoing throughout his career; however, this one isn’t a sports hernia.
Canucks GM Mike Gillis confirmed last week on Vancouver radio that Garrison was still working his way back from a groin injury.
“With Jason, we’ve ruled out the possibility he has a sports hernia,” Gillis said. “But it’s kind of like he feels like he’s at 80 or 85 per cent all the time and getting that extra 10-15 per cent has been challenging for him a little bit. There have been some strides made and he is feeling better. It’s a difficult injury to diagnose and handle and we’ll see how he does over the next week or so and then make some decisions.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)