Oct 21, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Right now we seem to be stuck in limbo as far as the CBA talks are concerned, but things can change quickly. The question is: Do they need to in order to save the season?
Although we’re only in mid-October, a team executive recently told Pierre LeBrun that there won’t be a 2012-13 season if we don’t get a new CBA within the next week.
That sentiment might be overly pessimistic, but at the same time, the odds of us getting a full 82-game season will be extremely remote if a new CBA isn’t finalized very soon. It has been indicated that the season needs to start by Nov. 2 in order to preserve a full schedule.
The NHL seems to be standing by its most recent offer, which would have given both sides half of hockey-related revenues.
“We think there’s a framework of a deal on the table,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a Globe and Mail report.
The league doesn’t feel the same way about the union’s three counter-proposals, which it quickly rejected.
After that, NHLPA boss Donald Fehr warned that we could be in for a “fairly long road.”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)