Oct 21, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Although he’s skating with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons, he’s still in the final stages of his recovery from a shoulder injury and won’t play until November.
“It’s a bit of a weird situation…I know I just signed for $42 million but everybody knows I love to play no matter what they pay me, and right now they’re paying me when I’m not playing,” Hall said. Just to clarify, Hall’s seven-year, $42 million contract doesn’t begin until the 2013-14 campaign.
Hall isn’t eligible to play for the Barons until he travels back to Edmonton to get medical clearance.
For now, he’s expected to take his involvement in practices to a new level next week. That’s when he’ll start participating in one-on-one drills, as well as a variety of others to test his shoulder.
“I did take some face-offs yesterday (Friday) and today (Saturday),” Hall said. “I did another drill where I had my arm extended, holding off somebody. I couldn’t do that last season (his shoulder was in bad shape even before Colorado’s Ryan Wilson stapled him into the boards in Denver 11 months ago). The shoulder feels strong.”
When he’s finally given the green light, he’ll join Justin Schultz, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Jordan Eberle as part of the AHL Oklahoma City Barons. That is, of course, unless the NHL and union have a change of heart over the next few days and sign a new CBA.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)