Oct 21, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
As we mentioned earlier tonight, opinions are all over the place about just how negotiations will go from here after the NHL shot down all three NHLPA offers on Thursday. One guy who is feeling conflicted, however, is NHLPA special counsel Steve Fehr.
Fehr tells The Canadian Press that while he feels there’s a deal on the table to be made between both sides, he’s not expecting the NHL to go changing anything up anytime soon.
“There are multiple frameworks for a deal on the table,” said Steve Fehr, the NHLPA’s special counsel. “We gave them three good ones on Thursday. Each moves toward a 50-50 split of [hockey-related revenue] that the league wants. Each allows the contracts in place to be honored.
“Unfortunately, after considering these proposals for about 10 minutes the league rejected them and essentially said that they are not moving off their last proposal.”
Keep in mind that the NHL’s offer was the second in a row brought to the table from the owners. The players’ union basically got Gary Bettman to negotiate against himself — don’t expect that to happen again.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)