Oct 21, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
With the players’ locked out, the NHLPA has been working to surprise minor hockey players by attending their practices, according to a TSN report.
“Someone needs to gain by this work stoppage, and why not youth hockey?” said former NHL head coach and current Detroit Red Wings assistant Tom Renney. “I think players participating in youth practices as guest instructors or participants is wonderful. Also, I know of a healthy number of NHL coaches doing the same thing.
“Honest to goodness good intentions.”
One recent example is Daniel Alfredsson, who spent some time with the 16-year-old members of a Midget B team in Ottawa last week.
“It was a lot of fun,” Alfredsson told The Associated Press. “The surprise of the kids — they were just going to start scrimmaging when I stepped on the ice. And they said, ‘What are you doing here?’ They were so shocked.”
Alfredsson stayed after the practice to sign autographs and talk with the teens and plenty of other young hockey players have gotten similar memories over the past weeks.
Already, at least 75 players have combined to log more than 100 hours practicing with over 1,000 kids.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)