Oct 21, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
With the players’ locked out, the NHLPA has been working to surprise minor hockey players by attending their practices, according to a TSN report.
“Someone needs to gain by this work stoppage, and why not youth hockey?” said former NHL head coach and current Detroit Red Wings assistant Tom Renney. “I think players participating in youth practices as guest instructors or participants is wonderful. Also, I know of a healthy number of NHL coaches doing the same thing.
“Honest to goodness good intentions.”
One recent example is Daniel Alfredsson, who spent some time with the 16-year-old members of a Midget B team in Ottawa last week.
“It was a lot of fun,” Alfredsson told The Associated Press. “The surprise of the kids — they were just going to start scrimmaging when I stepped on the ice. And they said, ‘What are you doing here?’ They were so shocked.”
Alfredsson stayed after the practice to sign autographs and talk with the teens and plenty of other young hockey players have gotten similar memories over the past weeks.
Already, at least 75 players have combined to log more than 100 hours practicing with over 1,000 kids.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)