Oct 21, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
With the players’ locked out, the NHLPA has been working to surprise minor hockey players by attending their practices, according to a TSN report.
“Someone needs to gain by this work stoppage, and why not youth hockey?” said former NHL head coach and current Detroit Red Wings assistant Tom Renney. “I think players participating in youth practices as guest instructors or participants is wonderful. Also, I know of a healthy number of NHL coaches doing the same thing.
“Honest to goodness good intentions.”
One recent example is Daniel Alfredsson, who spent some time with the 16-year-old members of a Midget B team in Ottawa last week.
“It was a lot of fun,” Alfredsson told The Associated Press. “The surprise of the kids — they were just going to start scrimmaging when I stepped on the ice. And they said, ‘What are you doing here?’ They were so shocked.”
Alfredsson stayed after the practice to sign autographs and talk with the teens and plenty of other young hockey players have gotten similar memories over the past weeks.
Already, at least 75 players have combined to log more than 100 hours practicing with over 1,000 kids.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)