Oct 21, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
With the players’ locked out, the NHLPA has been working to surprise minor hockey players by attending their practices, according to a TSN report.
“Someone needs to gain by this work stoppage, and why not youth hockey?” said former NHL head coach and current Detroit Red Wings assistant Tom Renney. “I think players participating in youth practices as guest instructors or participants is wonderful. Also, I know of a healthy number of NHL coaches doing the same thing.
“Honest to goodness good intentions.”
One recent example is Daniel Alfredsson, who spent some time with the 16-year-old members of a Midget B team in Ottawa last week.
“It was a lot of fun,” Alfredsson told The Associated Press. “The surprise of the kids — they were just going to start scrimmaging when I stepped on the ice. And they said, ‘What are you doing here?’ They were so shocked.”
Alfredsson stayed after the practice to sign autographs and talk with the teens and plenty of other young hockey players have gotten similar memories over the past weeks.
Already, at least 75 players have combined to log more than 100 hours practicing with over 1,000 kids.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)