Oct 20, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Scott Niedermayer can add being in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame to his long list of accomplishments.
“I’ve been tremendously fortunate throughout my hockey career of playing with great teammates, for good organizations and getting a chance to play for Canada in a bunch of international competitions,” Niedermayer said in an NHL.com report.
“That has added up to some success and some championships and some great memories. This is a great way to sort of sum all that up. It means a lot to get recognized for your accomplishments over a long period of time. It means a lot.”
Niedermayer was inducted alongside rower Derek Porter, bobsled pilot Pierre Lueders, speed skater Jeremy Wotherspoon, figure skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, and soccer player Charmaine Hooper.
During his playing career, Niedermayer won the Stanley Cup four times along with the Memorial Cup, the 1991 World Junior Championships, two Olympic gold medals, the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, and the 2004 World Championships. He was also awarded the James Norris Memorial Trophy in 2004 and the Conn Smythe Trophy in 2007.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)